Thread: Great Gray Owl

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default Great Gray Owl

Attached Images Attached Images

This is a shot from last February late in the day. I laid down on my stomach to get this angle and made a mound of snow to steady the lens because I forgot my tripod in the truck.
    there was already a group of photographers there when I showed that were using mice as bait. They waved me over and waited for me to get ready before continuing. Very friendly folks. I really liked how the blowing snow made him melt into the ground.
    Shot with 1DIV 400mm , f5.6 , 1/1600 , iso400
    A little noise reduction on the background and smart sharpen on the bird only

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

What a face and eyes! I agree the low POV really helps make this shot. I think everyone left happy (except the mouse). Thanks for sharing.

Macro and Flora Moderator Jonathan Ashton's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

I like the pose and the angle from which it was taken. Colours look good, I guess these birds plumage colouration varies quite a lot, I got one in September 2016 and as the name implies it was very grey compared yours.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

I like the direct stare, low angle, BG and composition. They are beautiful owls. Thanks for sharing.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Terrific low POV, and great stare. Nice sharp detail too, thanks to that mound of snow.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Those eyes really draw you into the frame - stunning!. Lovely low positioning, and great complementary colours in the BG

Mike

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Very impressive, Stuart. Fabulous stare from those eyes and wonderful detail on the bird. I too like the low POV and the owl 'melting' into the snow as you describe. Good complementary colours in the background too. No nits from me.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

HI Jonathan. I had the chance to see this same bird i varying light over several days . It was infact gray but this was shot very late in the day and that is exactly how i remember it looking .I have a few shots from closer to sunset where the colors are even warmer.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jonathan Ashton View Post
    I like the pose and the angle from which it was taken. Colours look good, I guess these birds plumage colouration varies quite a lot, I got one in September 2016 and as the name implies it was very grey compared yours.

Macro and Flora Moderator Jonathan Ashton's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Stuart Edwards View Post
    HI Jonathan. I had the chance to see this same bird i varying light over several days . It was infact gray but this was shot very late in the day and that is exactly how i remember it looking .I have a few shots from closer to sunset where the colors are even warmer.
    Thanks for the reply Stuart, it really is a magnificent bird well done!