Thread: Hyena Cub

Lifetime Member Rachel Hollander's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default Hyena Cub

Attached Images Attached Images

I thought I would switch it up a bit and post a hyena cub from my 2016 trip. Taken early morning at the den in the Timbavati Game Reserve.

Canon 7D2
    100-400 II @ 321mm
    1/1250
    f5.6
    ISO 1600
    HH from safari vehicle, ff, layers, curves, TK lumo masks, selective burning of bg, reduced blues in shadows, selective sharpening in PSCC.

C&C welcome and appreciated. Thanks,

Rachel

P.S. Once again, wishing all of you health, happiness and lots of great light in 2018! If you haven't already done so, check out this annual thread and post your favorite from 2017: http://www.birdphotographers.net/for...-IMAGE-OF-2017

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

This is a fine head shot of the Hyena with muted colours, directional light and good details. TFS. Happy new year 2018 Rachel.

3. Thanks Rachel Hollander thanked for this post
    Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Ha, Rachel, you've beaten me to it. I had a shot of an adult spotted hyena that I was thinking of posting. Your cub is much nice though. The colour palette in this one is great - soft and muted. Love the pose and composition here too. I'm less sure about the light which was obviously quite difficult. I can imagine many interpretations of lighting in a situation like this. I feel this one is a touch on the bright side for my liking although you have managed some nice tone and detail from the shadows. If mine, I'd revisit as I think this is a cracker of a shot.

5. Thanks Rachel Hollander thanked for this post
    Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Rachel -- A very happy new year and thanks for your comments and suggestions throughout the year , indeed very helpful .

A nice portrait , with soft muted colours and lovely details. not a very ideal BKG here but nothing could have been done abt it .

TFS !

7. Thanks Rachel Hollander thanked for this post
    Macro and Flora Moderator Jonathan Ashton's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Who says hyaenas are ugly? Beautiful tones and texture and a cute little face.
    Maybe try reducing contrast in the background to make the twigs a little less obvious??

9. Thanks Rachel Hollander thanked for this post
    Lifetime Member Rachel Hollander's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Thank you Sanjeev, Glenn, Haseeb and Jon for the comments and suggestions. They are very much appreciated.