Thread: Snowy Owl with prey

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default Snowy Owl with prey

Attached Images Attached Images

My plan for the day was to photograph this Snowy Owl in the snow. Previously I posted a shot of it landed with this rat. In the field we did not know what it had or was sitting on but thought it was odd that it was sitting with its wings down a bit. Guess it was being territorial about it's dinner. When it flushed from 2 people running up the beach in the snow (!!!) we saw that it was holding a rat. This is the 3rd frame of the series and just as the downstroke of the wings caused it to lift off of the sand. So the plan worked out perfectly I think. Snowy Owl in the snow with naturally caught (not baited) prey. Happy New Year everyone.

1DX ii 500 f4 ii + 1.4x iii, ISO 4000, F5.6, SS 1/2000
    Last edited by Isaac Grant; 12-30-2017 at 11:38 AM.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

WOW!!A lot of people have images of snowies with prey but hardly anyone can say that they have this shot UNBAITED.
    I love everything about this- the IQ, the clearly visible rat, the fantastic sense of upward motion created by the snow and dirt trail, the POV, the clear BG and finally the snowflakes.
    Whites look great and I am OK with wingtip blur.
    If I was to be super picky, the only thing that could improve this image is to have both eyes visible.
    Ooh...my jealousy bone is throbbing...!
    Gail
    Happy New Year to you and your family isaac!

3. Thanks Isaac Grant thanked for this post
    Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Excellent image Isaac! I like the eruption of sand coming out of the snow, IQ, prey, exposure, falling snow and composition.

5. Thanks Isaac Grant thanked for this post
    Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Very nice. Love the yellow eye on these birds. The snow makes this one as well as the prey.

7. Thanks Isaac Grant thanked for this post
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

You are a sick man; this is killer. And I actually loved the one-eyed look. HH of course?

with love, artie
    BIRDS AS ART Blog: great info and lessons, lots of images with our legendary BAA educational Captions; we will not sell you junk. 30+ years of long lens experience/e-mail with gear questions.

BIRDS AS ART Online Store: we will not sell you junk. 35 years of long lens experience. Please e-mail with gear questions.

Check out the new SONY e-Guide and videos that I did with Patrick Sparkman here. Ten percent discount for BPN members,

E-mail me at samandmayasgrandpa@att.net.

9. Thanks Isaac Grant thanked for this post
    BPN Member
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

An image for the ages... right place, right time, right use of the equipment... it all came together for a wonderful image. Thank you for sharing, Isaac.
    Joe Przybyla

"Sometimes I do get to places just as God is ready to have somebody click the shutter"... Ansel Adams

www.amazinglight.smugmug.com

11. Thanks Isaac Grant thanked for this post
    Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Thanks Artie. The camera was tripod mounted. A group of 5 of us were watching the snowy for about 45 minutes while it just sat there. I watched it earlier in the morning get flushed by a jogger and fly into the woods. It did not return for a long time and I had given up looking. I was not happy about not being able to photograph it in the snow. A friend called me and said that he just saw it fly back to exactly where we just were. So I quickly got back to where it was and then watched it for a long time. We were wondering if it was hurt because it had its wings down a bit like it was in pain or struggling. I know now that it was more of a territorial gesture while it protected its yummy rat . I was set completely differently to shoot the owl as it just sat still on the beach in the snow. Bird was sitting on the low side of a little hill near where the beach bends north, just on the other side of a jetty. At almost the last second I saw the 2 people approaching. As fast as I could I upped the ISO and shutter speed to capture the action as I knew it would take off to my left. People were coming from my right. At the same time I moved the camera left a little to give the bird room to fly into and to get the bird as it took off. This is full frame. Have a few shots where I clipped the wings as it took off. I probably had less than 2 seconds to make the changes and get the shot before the bird was gone. This was one case where I was more than happy to have set up the camera the way I did to make changes on the fly. Also where the 14 frames per second of the 1dx ii really pay off.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

awesome capture! Nice job being ready for the moment!

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Remarkable shot, Isaac and the one-eyed HA which draws another look. You've even got bonus snow falling around it. I'm left wondering what the other frames looked like. This one is so good but I'm sure the others are pretty nice too.

15. Thanks Isaac Grant thanked for this post
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

This is really contest worthy, you probably should have saved it...
    Just terrific, probably the best Snowy photo I have seen.
    Dan Kearl

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Late to the party but this is awesome. I love the falling snow and the dirt flying on the bottom. The prey item is a great addition. This frame just screams action. Would love to get a shot like this one day. TFS

Lifetime Member
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

What a catch for you and the Snowy, Isaac. Great timing and I love the sand kicked up adding beautifully to the action, all this while it's snowing. Well done.

Geoffrey

https://500px.com/geoffreymontagu