Thread: Florida Burrowing Owl

BPN Member
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default Florida Burrowing Owl

Attached Images Attached Images

I captured this image on Marco Island, Florida. For those not familiar with Burrowing Owls, they are small. About 8 to 10 inches tall (19 to 28 cm). I have yet to go to Marco Island since Hurricane Irma flooded the island, I wonder how it impacted the owls. Comments and critique welcomed and appreciated. Thank you for viewing.

Nikon D500
    Nikon 80-400mm F/4.5-5.6 VRII AF-S ED image captured at 400mm
    1/500 F/5.6 Matrix Metering EV +2/3 ISO 1100 AWB, camera supported by a monopod
    Post processed in Lightroom Classic CC and Photoshop CC 2018
    Cropped for composition and presentation
    Joe Przybyla

"Sometimes I do get to places just as God is ready to have somebody click the shutter"... Ansel Adams

www.amazinglight.smugmug.com

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Lovely shot, Joe, with great stare and nice colorful background.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

That stare and background look really nice. Details look nice as well. I think a little more room above would be better. I'm not a huge fan of these man made perches. I wish they would put up some nice perches for all of the photographers that support the local economies.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Nice stare and BKGR and nice soft light. Bird is too centered ... And the dark stuff encroaching from the top is distracting ...

with love, artie
    BIRDS AS ART Blog: great info and lessons, lots of images with our legendary BAA educational Captions; we will not sell you junk. 30+ years of long lens experience/e-mail with gear questions.

BIRDS AS ART Online Store: we will not sell you junk. 35 years of long lens experience. Please e-mail with gear questions.

Check out the new SONY e-Guide and videos that I did with Patrick Sparkman here. Ten percent discount for BPN members,

E-mail me at samandmayasgrandpa@att.net.

BPN Member
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Arthur Morris View Post
    Nice stare and BKGR and nice soft light. Bird is too centered ... And the dark stuff encroaching from the top is distracting ...

with love, artie
    Hi Artie, thanks for viewing and commenting. I can take care of the dark in the background. Which way would you move the owl so not centered?
    Joe Przybyla

"Sometimes I do get to places just as God is ready to have somebody click the shutter"... Ansel Adams

Threads
    Thank You Posts

You are welcome. With this one, I'd like the bird on the left side of the frame ... Best to do that in the field so that you have less work to do in post.

with love, artie
    BIRDS AS ART Blog: great info and lessons, lots of images with our legendary BAA educational Captions; we will not sell you junk. 30+ years of long lens experience/e-mail with gear questions.

BIRDS AS ART Online Store: we will not sell you junk. 35 years of long lens experience. Please e-mail with gear questions.

Check out the new SONY e-Guide and videos that I did with Patrick Sparkman here. Ten percent discount for BPN members,

BPN Member
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Attached Images Attached Images

Thanks everyone for viewing, commenting, and suggesting improvements. Here is an edit reflecting those suggestions.
    Joe Przybyla

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hey Joe, You did really well with the dark strip; did you protect the bird? Either way, what is your trick? Ideally for me that composition would have the bird somewhere between the fourth line and the third line. The centered eyes are still right of the thirds line. Again, way easier to focus and re-compose in the field :)

with love, artie

Threads
    Thank You Posts

ps: as Burrowing Owl perches go, I do not mind the weathered stake at all.

a

BPN Member
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Artie, yes I protected the bird. I used the Magic Wand in Photoshop making a selection of the background, adding in the different tones until I had the whole background selected. Then I feathered the selection 1 pixel. Using the Paint Brush tool set at 40% opacity I selected the lighter green color, painting over the dark purple at the top. Next I selected a darker green and selectively brushed over the lighter green until it looked right to my eye.
    Joe Przybyla

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Nice work, Joe.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Joseph Przybyla View Post
    Hi Artie, yes I protected the bird. I used the Magic Wand in Photoshop making a selection of the background, adding in the different tones until I had the whole background selected. Then I feathered the selection 1 pixel. Using the Paint Brush tool set at 40% opacity I selected the lighter green color, painting over the dark purple at the top. Next I selected a darker green and selectively brushed over the lighter green until it looked right to my eye.
    Thanks Joe, You did a great job with the background. I am good at making selections but have never painted with the Paint Brush Tool; I will have to try that. May I assume that you use a relatively large brush?

with love, artie

BPN Member
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Good Morning Artie, yes a large brush. The one I used for the owl was 700px with a hardness of 0. Large and very soft.
    Joe Przybyla

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hey Joe,

Many thanks. I mentioned this post and your photo in this morning's blog post here.

Have a great 2018.

with love, artie