Thread: hunting "spar" (female) sparrow hawk UK Acipter nisus

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Icon1 hunting "spar" (female) sparrow hawk UK Acipter nisus

Attached Images Attached Images

A complete grab shot with just a split second warning before she was on me,I just had a glimpse of an underwing through a tiny gap in the hedge to warn of her immenant arrival. My attempt at making this image must have been hilarious to watch ,i'm in pretty slushy wet snow and very nearly ended up in a somewhat undignified positon,but hey they are fast what can I say

Processed in Canon dpp 4.7 PSCC should follow in days now which is exciting after the long ol wait. (New pc for chrimbo) Canon 1Div 400DO IS II 1.4extiii 1/5000 f7.1 iso 1000 Cropped to around 75% of original frame due to my poor framing a real shame but as mentioned she was in full tilt hunting mode,Maybe the iq isn't quite what it could be??
    It has to be said I think the incredible handling of the DO got me this attempt I#ve noy just got her and have moved from a 300f2'8is which is a stunning tool,but I just don't think I could have moved those few extra grammes fast enough to get on to her. Only one frame ,the first got her almost clear of the hedge I fired more but nothing of use. these chances with this bird are hard one,I'm beyond thrilled to have got anything all faults belong to me but nice to have something Centerpoint and surround used on BBF bird a bit high and forward in frame so focus has plausibly caught the nearest wing

Huge thanks for all the time so freely given to help us newer members along !! Special cheers to Tim for manning ETL and his patience with folks like moi !1 Have the best break and the most fantastic new year folks

take care

Stu

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Stu, nice catchlight in the eye, to bad about the OOF branch going across the wing and tail in front also the is a sensor dust spot just above the back.
    Great reactions on your part, Have a Happy New Year.

-Tim

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Tim Foltz View Post
    Stu, nice catchlight in the eye, to bad about the OOF branch going across the wing and tail in front also the is a sensor dust spot just above the back.
    Great reactions on your part, Have a Happy New Year.

-Tim
    Hey Tim thankyou kind sir, my bad on the dust bunny cheers for that. I think there is more Tim ,i've been trying to play in ps,not getting far but I'll be slower than a slow thing anyway and not ready to post as of yet,but it's really interesting and already I think I can improve on this IQ wise.

A missed fantastic chance with a sparrow hawk has haunted me Tim. To have a chance at an image like this of one hunting full tilt,is something of a rarity. They do hunt certain routes,but they seem to rotate,so there is no chance rally of being in the right place bar luck.

I suspect this had an effect on my reactions,bit shocked actually tim thought I'd got old an slow but looks like those old drummer hands still move when needed. Yes shame about the obstructions,but for me at this stage,to have just this one frame is a bit special,second and following were ruined by the hedge

Have the most wonderful new year buddy cheers again for the help here

stu

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

I've had a bit of a play in PS lightened the image and played around with sharpening methods. WDYT any better

many thanks

stu Name:  _70F4463.JPG
Views: 288
Size:  101.3 KB

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Stuart much better, I might try a tiny bit more contrast to make it pop a little more.

-Tim

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Thanks Tim it's early days(with PS0 and i'm more than a little overwhelmed,but it WILL come,cheers for the thoughts i'll look at the contrast..many thanks

stu

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Attached Images Attached Images

What an awesome capture!! Love the pose and the head angle. The fact that the beak is clear of the right wing makes a big difference. The image looks sharp overall but looks like it might have been underexposed a little at capture. Easy to do that with a blue sky background.
    Your re-post looks much better but you went to far. It is a little thin so some more darks and saturation would look better. I lightened the frame using levels and added some darks too. I then added 6 points of saturation and sharpened only the bird. I also gave the bird a little more room below and cleaned up some dust spots and the sky a little.
    Great flight shot of this little Spar
    Come join me for a Custom Raptor Workshop starting this November 2019- January 2020.
    P.M. me to inquire on dates, pricing and availabilities. Thank You.
    www.davidsalemphotography.com

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Quote Originally Posted by David Salem View Post
    What an awesome capture!! Love the pose and the head angle. The fact that the beak is clear of the right wing makes a big difference. The image looks sharp overall but looks like it might have been underexposed a little at capture. Easy to do that with a blue sky background.
    Your re-post looks much better but you went to far. It is a little thin so some more darks and saturation would look better. I lightened the frame using levels and added some darks too. I then added 6 points of saturation and sharpened only the bird. I also gave the bird a little more room below and cleaned up some dust spots and the sky a little.
    Great flight shot of this little Spar
    David,the words above are incredibly humbling ,coming from you. I deeply admire your work David,we just got distracted by it again,some of your images make my jaw drop. nuff said hey mate happy new year

David it isn't perfect ,but i'm a bit thrilled by this,and to be utterly honest very very lucky to just have a chance of an image to get anything is still bewildering....so so fast. David I suspect one doesn't see very many images of our sparrow hawk like this,more the underside,because simply they see the image maker and flare away I saw this first ,that is so rare !!. David the other problem is they don't seem to have any form of predictable hunting patterns. They do have routes they frequent but I think they vary them almost rotate. So being in the right place is always a matter of luck for me.

Obviously on me can bait from a hide but that doesn't really lend it's self to their characteristic hunting technique ,working low and fast down our hedges .

A huge amount of luck,i'm unsure on the cloning David,the contrast/ brightness is much much better. My very first attempt in PS David, it's going to be long ol journey much to learn !!. Thank you so much for your time and the edit it's so improved from my version,I shall come back to this as my get my head around photoshop in a less chaotic manner

take care thank you

stu