Thread: Nikon 200-500mm f5.6 lens versus 500mm f4 af-i.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default Nikon 200-500mm f5.6 lens versus 500mm f4 af-i.

So for a little background; I previously used a Nikon d7100 matched with a Sigma 150-600 Contemporary lens with mediocre results, which I blamed primarily on operator short comings in technique. I also came into an older Nikon 500mm f4 af-i lens, which performed well with the d7100. I have since moved to a Nikon d500 and began with the Sigma lens, with so-so results. I had not used the 500 f4 with the d500 before today. For the past few months I acquired and have been using a Nikon 200-500 f5.6 lens with decent results, but still convinced myself that the limiting factor was still my technique. I have been considering selling the 500 f4 because I have been enjoying the new lens so much and didn't really think I was giving much up by do so.
    Today, I had eyes on a Coopers Hawk in my backyard so I decided to break out the 500 f4 and hand hold it! I forgot out heavy and cumbersome that lens really is. However, I practically was peeing all over myself once I locked focus on the hawk and began clicking away! The additional stop of light entering the lens and quickness of the focus was remarkably better than with the 200-500 f5.6. Now I know that a prime lens is always going to offer the best optics but I figured the newer technology would win out over the 20+ year old mammoth of a lens.
    I do really like having a zoom for bird photography and I like being mobile. However, after re-using the 500 f4 lens once again I am now questioning how and when I would use it in the future. It is so big and heavy and almost always must use a tripod which is not an opportunity I get very often. I am just surprised at how under-impressed it makes me feel about the optics and focusing of the 200-500 f5.6 lens. (It's funny but the person I bought the 200-500 lens from claimed it was not a fast enough lens for their use, which was primarily waterfowl in action.)

Maybe my strong desire for an affordable, enthusiast level zoom lens to be better than what I would ever need is not to be. Has anyone else experienced this syndrome?
    I feel I would have better off if I had never used a 500 f4 autofocus lens in the first place! Curious if others have experienced anything similar?

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

yes have both lenses tend to grab to 200-500 mm more often due to less wight if process images makes a strong statement however the 500 mm outshines to 200-500 mm in bouquet with bg. also important to have a
    lens alignment done to insure good focus.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

ps talk about light weight the nikon 300 mmpe lens makes me grab that lens so often but not as good for flight images.must have lens alignment

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Yes, I agree that the weight difference is huge. I am not typically able to be very mobile or very spontaneous with the large 500 f4 lens. The smaller size and weight of the 200-500 lens makes me want to make this my exclusive birding lens but as I mentioned before I just have not found the sharpness to be of my liking yet. As you say perhaps I will need to look into performing an alignment procedure. Its kind of funny because I sold my Sigma 150-600 Contemporary lens as I found the Nikon 200-500 to provide sharper images. I suspect it is still more about operator skill more than anything. However, I do say that better equipment can provide better pictures.