Thread: Roe deer UK

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Icon1 Roe deer UK

Attached Images Attached Images

One of our two native species,not so easily found as many of the deer here,that oft live in herds like fallow and reds in an almost semi domesticated state. This is largely a solitary species although one does find them together. So in many ways an unseen deer that one isn't just going to walk up to for a few snaps.

These guys live close to home,I am aware I've seen a doe and her kid since the summer in this area. They live partly in a young tree plantation and are incredibly difficult to catch up with I get close but they always clock me before I them. I'ts a shame because they damage the young trees they are being stalked,so I am incredibly wary about making their whereabouts known,so a hide is out of the question.

Now I am very unsure but now think this is the son.him and mum are two peas from the same pod ,so ID is tricky,we know the youngster is a boy ,tiny horn buds spotted in one image. The sun is setting just as I come across them ,once again they had me first,but this time my approach was so painfully slow they didn't spook. But I'm dead in the water standing with no cover on a track. As luck would have it a big old cloud rolls across the sun killing the light and leaving me desparately scrabbling for techs . Naturally the lad takes this exact moment to come over to see what on earth I am. A bewildering experince I'll long cherish ,roe can be curious and will come,but with me standing doing my best tree impression this will probably be almost a unique experience for me.

Have the most wonderful christmas break guys, Processed in DPP4.7 , new PC here ps in days now but still setting it up at present. My humble apologies for my abscence of late.

1/400
    f5.6
    iso 5000

Finally thanks for all the help wisdom and kindness with regards to my image making exploits. You all have a fantastic new year and get to make some incredible images

take care

stu

PS Canon 1Div 400DO IS ii ext 1.4 iii hand held standing not cropped
    Last edited by Stuart Philpott; 12-26-2017 at 05:53 AM. Reason: PS

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Really like how this shows the deer in its environment. Good composition as well.

3. Thanks Stuart Philpott thanked for this post
    Macro and Flora Moderator Jonathan Ashton's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Very nice indeed Stu, you obviously make a pretty convincing tree!! This is definitely worth having another work when you get PS, I would lower the sky highlights considerably and possibly consider cropping the RHS.

5. Thanks Stuart Philpott thanked for this post
    Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

John and Jon thank you both.

Jon I just don't know what exactly fooled him,i've had roe investigate me many times,but i'm always half buried in a bush or some form of cover. I didn;t see this coming at all. Utterly perplexed,but wonderful to have happen. Yes soon now Jon new pc works great I just need to sort out what exactly I need now to get me going,it's desparately exciting John I've only been able to view a somewhat finsished image of my own due to the kindness of guys like your good self. I can't wait to get started,although I know I'll struggle I can't wait.

I wondered whether the IQ was good enough to crop frankly Jon i'm still unsure about IQ especially new lens and high iso,I also think i'm a tad on the red side here now. I think I let the excitment of finally being able to get out and this encounter get to me I feel I could do a tiny bit better with my edit beyond what I might achieve in PS

take care both

stu

Lifetime Member Rachel Hollander's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Stu - Congrats on the new equipment! Use it well. I too like the deer in habitat and the look to camera. The deer looks a little soft but it may be the sharpening. Once you get set up with PS, apply some selective sharpening to the deer only. I would also consider more of a pano crop from the top to eliminate a good portion of the bright sky and the ugly branch in the urc. BTW according to the EXIF you were at 1/500 rather than 1/400 ss.

Happy Holidays and TFS,
    Rachel

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Rachel thank you I'll try my best. I hope you having a wonderful break . Good spot on of the SS my bad, typo probably but my bad. Yes we'll find out shortly if soft or if it can be improved with PS with a bit more sharpening

Thanks for the thoughts advice and honesty Rachel over these last couple of years or so. Genuine appreciation Rachel,you have done a **** of a lot to help me thank you !!

take care

stu

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

I admire your patience stalking these very wary animals, Stu. I was struck by the unusual face on this animal. You've framed this nicely and captured a great moment. Can't wait to see what your shots are like once you are on top of the new computer and software.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Glenn Pure View Post
    I admire your patience stalking these very wary animals, Stu. I was struck by the unusual face on this animal. You've framed this nicely and captured a great moment. Can't wait to see what your shots are like once you are on top of the new computer and software.

Hiya Glenn thanks for the encouraging words,the editing will be slow Glenn,these things I struggle with ,but I can't wait it's been a long time coming!!

Thanks for the kind words,mate what do you mean by unusual "face." I'm curious as to what you are seeing to make that comment?

hope you to have a great break

stu

Story Sequences Moderator and Wildlife Moderator Gabriela Plesea's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Really sweet pose from this deer, Stu - well captured. And well done for pushing that ISO

Composition works for me, a busy image in terms of vegetation but such is the environment. I also like those reds, a lot.

You are becoming a stalker of note, LOL. Congratulations for your patience and ability to recognise and ID your subjects. Your images certainly convey your passion for wildlife

Hope you are enjoying this festive season, and I wish you and your partner a wonderful 2018 filled with joy, happiness and good health. Have fun with your new gear and make the most of your opportunities, mate!

Kind regards,
    Gabriela Plesea

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Stuart Philpott View Post
    Thanks for the kind words,mate what do you mean by unusual "face." I'm curious as to what you are seeing to make that comment?
    Hi Stu, I don't know this species but think the face almost has some human qualities in its appearance. May be perfectly normal but still striking to me not being familiar with them.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Glenn Pure View Post
    Hi Stu, I don't know this species but think the face almost has some human qualities in its appearance. May be perfectly normal but still striking to me not being familiar with them.
    Glenn I'll try and get a couple more up for you,one in summer coat. Like you we have many alien species here,this one is native It's really marked how it changes with our seasons and with what you have said above I think you'll find their faces and the change in that especially interesting.

thanks again

stu

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Gabriela Plesea View Post
    Really sweet pose from this deer, Stu - well captured. And well done for pushing that ISO

Composition works for me, a busy image in terms of vegetation but such is the environment. I also like those reds, a lot.

You are becoming a stalker of note, LOL. Congratulations for your patience and ability to recognise and ID your subjects. Your images certainly convey your passion for wildlife

Hope you are enjoying this festive season, and I wish you and your partner a wonderful 2018 filled with joy, happiness and good health. Have fun with your new gear and make the most of your opportunities, mate!

Kind regards,

Thankyou for this Gabriela,yup I'm getting ever happier techs wise not there yet by any means,but when the light sadly dropped like a stone at least I reacted in the right way. Without Steve pushing me and educating me on the use of higher iso I wouldn't have this

Yes it is busy my biggest headache here are the plastic tree guards they irritate me more than the scrub. They are tricky guys this was a very special one off type of senario. Yes out at every chance at the moment and when in trying to work out how to do what I want to in PS all good

thank you for the thoughts as always A bit unsure on colour the reds have been tricky in this set of images . It might be the way the light changed so dramatically as I started shooting certainly slightly puzzling for me

take care

stu

Wildlife Moderator Steve Kaluski's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Attached Images Attached Images

Hi Stu, a very nice and natural encounter, love the setting and HA.

Yes you are now entering the deep end with your new computer and PS, but we all have been there, just concentrate on the basics and the rest will follow. Yes the skyline is blown and perhaps you could add a bit more USM on the subject but I sense the image is a tad soft. You could also add some NR and I think get a bit more colour into the overall capture.

Time to also get a book that will help you in the early days and get to grips with PS CC2018.

Perhaps something like this???

Good luck in 2018.

TFS
    Steve

16. Thanks Stuart Philpott thanked for this post
    Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Kaluski View Post
    Hi Stu, a very nice and natural encounter, love the setting and HA.

Yes you are now entering the deep end with your new computer and PS, but we all have been there, just concentrate on the basics and the rest will follow. Yes the skyline is blown and perhaps you could add a bit more USM on the subject but I sense the image is a tad soft. You could also add some NR and I think get a bit more colour into the overall capture.

Time to also get a book that will help you in the early days and get to grips with PS CC2018.

Perhaps something like this???

Good luck in 2018.

TFS
    Steve
    Lovely work Steve thank you, I like the colours a bit more strength but it really works for me The image might be a bit soft Steve fair comment,if so that will probably down to my technique ,maybe just too long holding the lens up .I'd always blame me though first

I'm hammering ps got a trial for a week to check it all works ,it does.

Really buddy I'm just working through video tutorials on what I know I want to do, ways of sharpening NR getting my head around layers,just base level things Steve incredibly frustrating,but I know with my brain that is how it will be. I'm not worried just thrilled to be at this stage.

The cool thing is because I've approached this in the best way for me I have ideas already on what I want from PS which is fantastic.Obviously that will get honed with time and I'll want more,but yes Steven one happy guy punctuated with the odd scream of frustration ,wouldn't have it another way.

Buddy you ve been a complete rock cheers I do hope the gaff is sorted VERY soon for you !!

Have the most wonderful new year Steve

stu

Wildlife Moderator Steve Kaluski's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Stu, yes I think a bit more 'strength' in the colour helps, but your original colour in the deer I like.

You will like PS, but just take it steady, it takes a while to learn the various bits and I would think less than 5% of folk really use it to it's full potential, as it's a fantastic bit of Software and has come a long way since I started in the mid/late 90's with it. Layers is a good addition and I will try to find you some quick tips in using them and understanding the white & black masks.

Buddy you ve been a complete rock cheers I do hope the gaff is sorted VERY soon for you !!
    Sub floor and wooden flooring in, walls skimmed and painted, sealing of the wooden flooring done this week so bugging out again. The 'Studio' is almost complete now , hope to get it all completed by the end of the month, so cheers for the advice and offer of help.

All the best for the New Year.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Some of this set of images were really tricky for me colour wise,this one not so bad Steve ,but some I've struggled with !! I think its the speed in which light changed. Such a shame buddy, just minutes I missed it by.

All this digital world I struggle with ,but no biggy it is how it is it;s how I'm wired ,it's just knowing how to get it in there is a way Steve (hammer).

But yes I'm using layers and masks already,understand the concepts ,leastways I think,am very certain I'm not getting the best I can from them but yup winning.

White transparent black opaque for masks played with reducing bkg noise ( don't care much for ps's programme so def going for neat image) separate to subject, several methods of sharps. Levels It's a wonderful tool kit Steve it will take a long long time to be proficient let alone master,but it's wicked to have the chance to learn now

Very welcome I just hope it all comes together at home for you now Steve ,it's waring

I don't like drawing with a mouse UGG in a few months maybe a tablet or something

HNY can I have some nice light please while I'm not grafting

thank you

stu

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Stuart Philpott View Post
    I don't like drawing with a mouse UGG in a few months maybe a tablet or something

stu
    Hi Stu, I use a Huion drawing pad/tablet to control my cursor when working on images. It is miles better than a mouse and they can be had for a reasonable price on ebay. Get the biggest one you can afford - definitely no smaller than 6x8 inches. Bigger is better.

Cheers
    Glenn