Thread: Where Did She Go

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default Where Did She Go

Attached Images Attached Images

It's been a while since I had anything to post. Been super busy with work and haven't shot anything for a long time. Spent 2 1/2 days on the road to get to Yellowstone, so I thought I would post an image from last Spring to get into the swing of things.

This is an image of a huge male bear who was on a hot pursuit of a female. The female took him on a courtship ritual that may take a few days to test his endurance and fit to be the father of her cubs. There were a good 30 photographers waiting for them to come out of the wood about 1/2 mile up the road. We took our chances to move down the road near a bridge where our guide thought the bears may cross. As soon as we set up our tripods, first the female popped out of the wood across from where we were standing, then a minute or two later, the huge male bear. He stood up on his hind legs to look for her. He turned one way and then the other as if saying to himself "Where did she go?"

Canon 1DX II
    600 f4 II + 1.4X III
    1/1250
    f5.6
    ISO-800
    Induro Tripod, RRS Ball Head

Shot landscape, cropped for vertical.
    Removed his ear tag.

Hope you like it.

Merry Christmas Everyone

Loi

Lifetime Member Rachel Hollander's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Loi - Welcome back, you've been missed! This works well with nice rich tones and detail in the fur. I like the sage at the bottom of the frame too. If it were mine I would burn the tree trunk in the bg on the left. Did you have time to shoot any vertical images?

TFS,
    Rachel

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Rachel, will look at the tree trunk. Good idea. I did turn the camera to vertical and managed to squeeze 3 shots. Unfortunately, the camera was on the tripod and I wasn’t efficient with tripod. The first shot clipped half the beat, the second and third were very soft. Thanks for commenting and Merry Christmas. Loi

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Nice pose on the bear. Looks very good as a vertical.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Great that you had some luck here, Loi and nice to read the story about how this was captured. I like the framing provided by the foreground vegetation. Your rendering of tone and colour on the bear looks great and nice fur detail. Look forward to seeing more from you.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Ver majestic pose from the bear - looks formidable. I would have preferred a little more negative space below, but understand the reasoning provided.

Mike

Story Sequences Moderator and Wildlife Moderator Gabriela Plesea's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year dear Loi!

Glad to see you back and posting, lovely frame with good detail and pose from the bear is great.

Very nice colours and I like the shiny (wet?) fur. Subject stands out nicely from the BG, well composed IMO and the vegetation in the FG works well.

Cute look from the subject there, looks as if his jaw dropped when he noticed he was the subject of your attention

Well done my friend, I enjoyed viewing, hope you will be back with more!

Kind regards,
    Gabriela Plesea

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Loi -- great to have you back , really missed your images and comments . A lovely image of a majestic and huge Bear. You have handled the light quite well and also managed to bring out those details very nicely . Enjoyed viewing this one . TFS !

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Gabriela Plesea View Post

"Very nice colours and I like the shiny (wet?) fur"

Kind regards,
    Hi Gabriela,
    Are you referring to the whites at the tip of the hair? That's the Silver Tip that mature, dominant grizzlies have. I was very happy to see those silver tips.

Later both bears crossed a stream, but not sure if they had crossed any at the time the image taken.

Thank you

Loi