Thread: Lizardfish

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default Lizardfish

Name:  Red-Sea-lizardfish-BPN.jpg
Views: 68
Size:  367.0 KB

I found this little fella taking a rest on a rock as I swam past. He was quite content with having a close approach and his photo taken, so I thought I'd try and get him in a position where the focus could drop off throughout his body. Working so close to these animals really messes with your head when you're more used to working with the aperture close to wide open most of the time!

Canon 1dx in a Nauticam housing
    Canon 100mm L macro
    ISO 400
    1/200th f14
    twin Sea and Sea YS D-1 strobes

Mike
    Last edited by Mike Poole; 12-24-2017 at 03:25 PM.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Happy chistmas bro,cheers for the 'elp and encouragement this last year have the BEST break,got me toy !! Apologies for the rain and grey of late my doing my bad.

Ha ha taking pics of tiny frogs and then playing games with deer is somewhat similar me thinks and yes it, DOF, does mess with my head lol !!

beautifuly framed and thought about mate,a dolphin is awesome huh ,but there is beauty in the smaller not so obvious too

love it Mike no nits
    happy chistmas

stu

3. Thanks Mike Poole thanked for this post
    Lifetime Member Rachel Hollander's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Mike - Another great underwater image. I think you accomplished what you wanted to with the dof and with the fish angled. I imagine that sometimes you almost have to think of these as macro shots depending on how close you are to the subject. The lighting on this one looks very nice and somehow more natural even though I know you used the strobes. Maybe it's just more even due to the placement of the lizardfish or no additional ambient light reaching the subject. Nice one.

TFS,
    Rachel

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Awesome frame here. This is my favorite underwater shot of yours so far.

6. Thanks Mike Poole thanked for this post
    Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Nice work Mike. I like the composition too with the fish coming in from the top right. Wonderful colour and texture on the fish - seems the strobes have provided virtually all of the lighting here and produced good colour across the frame.

8. Thanks Mike Poole thanked for this post
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Rachel Hollander View Post
    Hi Mike - Another great underwater image. I think you accomplished what you wanted to with the dof and with the fish angled. I imagine that sometimes you almost have to think of these as macro shots depending on how close you are to the subject. The lighting on this one looks very nice and somehow more natural even though I know you used the strobes. Maybe it's just more even due to the placement of the lizardfish or no additional ambient light reaching the subject. Nice one.

TFS,
    Rachel
    Thanks Rachel,

I think not having any blue water in the BG has helped with the lighting on this one - its a bit easier to control in a macro situation as opposed to the wide angle stuff where the strobes are a bit more obvious

Mike