Thread: Angry Exit - Sandhill Crane from Bosque del Apache

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default Angry Exit - Sandhill Crane from Bosque del Apache

Attached Images Attached Images

Just back from a great first trip to Bosque. It was all I hoped it might be. One morning it was not only freezing cold (the norm) but a terrible - but eventually wonderful fog/mist bank had rolled in. With the mist still present we had a few blast offs. This fella must not have gotten a good night's sleep as he was angry about something! :)

Details: D500, Sigma 500/4 with 1.4, 1/3200, 6.3, ISO 450, Tripod mount/gimbal, PS CCC, crop and troublesome edits

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Beautiful shot. I like the open bill and the curled wings.

Thanks for sharing

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Beautiful! you made the most of that foggy morning! it was nice meeting you on the field. The eagles were back at the perch today, 1 adult and 2 immature. I managed to get some shots of them flying off, finally made up for THAT miss on day 1!

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Nice expression. I also like faint outline of the other cranes in the BG. On my monitor there seems to be some noise.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Same to you Ray... always nice to meet forum members in "real life". Can't wait to see your Eagle work. Can't keep a good man down... I guessed you'd get your shots! I'll post "my Eagle" in a bit, but TBH I liked more of my Crane shots that "that" one. Hopefully we can meet again, my friend. Stay well and travel safe.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Jay, ISO was only 450 so I hoped to avoid any NR work - but I think you may be right - with the mist/fog there may be more noise that is ideal here. Might play with that aspect of things. Thanks.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

I LOVE the feel of this image. This is just beautiful. The contrast between the front bird, that fantastic wing position and the flock in the background is perfect. Color palette of the image is great as well. I would do a small round of sharpening on the head and neck. Background needs noise reduction for sure. I think that would really create an even more ethereal feel as it will blur the background birds even more. It will also make the main subject pop even more. I really think this is one of my favorite crane images I have seen.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Here's an attempt at NR and additional facial sharpening. I didn't go for a super smooth (noiseless) background as the subject has some noise (no NR done) and want the BKG to have some continuity with the bird. Better?

Name:  SHC Angry Exit 100p SS flattened SS NR S.jpg
Views: 447
Size:  102.1 KB

9. Thanks Krishna Prasad kotti thanked for this post
    BPN Member
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Nice work, Jay. Priceless expression and wing position on the Sandhill Crane. Thank you for sharing.
    Joe Przybyla

"Sometimes I do get to places just as God is ready to have somebody click the shutter"... Ansel Adams

www.amazinglight.smugmug.com

Threads
    Thank You Posts

I have to agree with the above accolades. I really like this! Everything just works perfectly- even the OOF cranes in the BG.
    Well done and congrats on a beautiful frame,
    Gail

Lifetime Member
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

This second effort with the added sharpening really does the job. The Flock [Dance,Sedge,Siege or Swoop etc.] in the background-I had to look them up - is just about perfect in every way with a touch of colour here and there to top it off. Well done.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Even better. Excellent repost.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Great expression and wing position make this a very dynamic shot. Techs wise I agreed with Isaac, and the RP improves the shot further

Mike

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Excellent work. Ditto all of the praise noted above. Love the flight pose, and the wonderful foggy background with just the right hint of the flock. Repost helps make it even better.

Lifetime Member
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Brilliant flight capture, Jay. Beautiful light, fine feather detail, and you couldn't have asked for a more perfect distance for the flock in the BG.

Geoffrey

http://https://500px.com/geoffreymontagu

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Most images with other cranes in the background are junk. This one is magical. Love the light, the fog, the mood, and the wing position. All in all, fantastic. The only thing that bugs me slightly is the white cheek just above the subject's head ..

with love, artie
    BIRDS AS ART Blog: great info and lessons, lots of images with our legendary BAA educational Captions; we will not sell you junk. 30+ years of long lens experience/e-mail with gear questions.

BIRDS AS ART Online Store: we will not sell you junk. 35 years of long lens experience. Please e-mail with gear questions.

Check out the new SONY e-Guide and videos that I did with Patrick Sparkman here. Ten percent discount for BPN members,

E-mail me at samandmayasgrandpa@att.net.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Oh my, this is a gorgeous image! The NR made a nice difference. One of my favorite images of late, congratulations on a striking frame!

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Beautiful image Jay. Everything works perfectly in this frame. I'm sure I will see it again when its selected for IOTW.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

One of the finest images I have seen here. Bravo!