Thread: European brown bear

Macro and Flora Moderator Jonathan Ashton's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default European brown bear

Attached Images Attached Images

Canon 1DX Canon 500mm f4 L IS II Auto ISO 16000+1/3, 1/800 sec f4
    ACR + PSCC
    Another from Finland cropped from a landscape rather more than I would have liked but this was the only time I saw any of the bears on two legs - just had to get a shot asap.
    This is mummy bear.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

I like the intensity of the bears expression with the alert ears. It looks sharp, detailed and well exposed.

Lifetime Member Rachel Hollander's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Jon - Great that you got one of momma standing it up. They are so impressive when they do that. Nice sharpness and the file looks good at this size. Can you recover any more detail on the top of the head? I do find the comp a bit awkward with too much above and wanting more below. However, I also realize that the fg appears to have been very busy so having more below might not be ideal.

TFS,
    Rachel

Story Sequences Moderator and Wildlife Moderator Gabriela Plesea's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Superb pose from this Mommy Bear

Lovely capture, nice colours and good detail. I really like the way the subject pops through those barren trees. Agree with Rachel on composition, perhaps taking a tad off the top might balance things a little?

Really special sighting and superb timing Jon, well processed too, thank you so much for sharing

Kind regards,
    Gabriela Plesea

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Thank you everyone I agree with your suggestions but there is nothing more at the base and I had already cropped the top significantly. I was concerned about image degradation if I cropped further. Regards the lights I looked at them I did reduce the TIFF.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Great shot at such short notice. I love her pose, there is so much detail. Were you at 16000 or 1600 ISO?

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Ákos Lumnitzer View Post
    Great shot at such short notice. I love her pose, there is so much detail. Were you at 16000 or 1600 ISO?
    ISO 16000

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Jon, I like this one a lot and as presented here - the composition works for me. So much to like in this: the setting which, while busy, is soft enough in detail, tone and colour to provide good separation while providing a strong feel of the bear in her environment. But above all, I simply love the detail and your treatment of tone and colour on the bear. Such wonderful texture and rounded off by that great intense stare. Really lovely work. And at a remarkable ISO.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Thanks very much everyone hope you have a super Christmas

10. Thanks Glenn Pure thanked for this post
    Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Jon have the best christmas.

Buddy the detail at this iso is utterly mind blowing I just love what you have done with her. I'm so hard on myself in these brief one chance framing situations Jon instantly, i'm really struggling with the base of the frame. I'm glad you shared it ,her pose is so gorgeous and the post work I adore,but that base is really messing with me personally. This situation arises with my hares too often and I don't measure up it's landscape to portrait in a nano second and I find it incredibly difficult to nail. Sorry if a tad harsh buddy it's such a wonderful image with her pose and that detail it seems unfair to comment on the obvious

take care

stu
    Stu

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Jonathan, I think it was wonderful to capture an Euro bear in its habitat. The bear is in sharp focus, so the branches are not that distracting. Had the branches not been there, sure you would have a "cleaner" image, but that is not the environment. Agreed with Rachel about recovering the details on top of the bear. Have you tried to reduce the highlights?

Loi

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Thanks for the feedback, you seem pretty insistent about the highlights so I have had another try:

Wildlife Moderator Steve Kaluski's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Jon, I prefer the BKG in the OP, the actual subject looks for 'course' in the RP, why did you change him? Yes recovering in the head does help, however I think the original may have gone a tad too much on the RHS of the Histogram. because of the stance I don't have a problem with the loss of the legs. I might look at a square crop, loosing a bit off the top as an alternative. Nice to see you not letting ISO cramp the capture.

Jon, could you fire it over and I'll take a look when I get back tomorrow, as I think you can get more without degrading the image so much.

TFS
    Steve

Wildlife Moderator Steve Kaluski's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Here you go Jon...

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Yes I take my hat off to you Steve! Pretty darned good - as I said it must have been a good raw file to begin with