Thread: Road Runner

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default Road Runner

Attached Images Attached Images

The image was made at Martin Refuge, Texas. Like most people, square crop is not my favourite, but for this image, it seemed optimal.

Nikon D500, Tamron 150-600 mm f 5-6.3
    focal length 380, 1/500s, f/7.1, iso 640

Macro and Flora Moderator Jonathan Ashton's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

I guess it was not practicable to take the image from a lower angle but I think had you done the background would have been rather busy in any event.
    The legs look a little burned out and a few highlights appear close to it. I think there is a blue cast in the image it is most noticeable on the bill, feet around the eye and in the black feathers. I think the image may benefit from going back to raw, you have captured some fine details.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Jonathan, Thanks for taking the time for the comments. I too that there was blur color cast in the tail feathers and near the eyes and the head. But I had checked for color cast before posting using curves --option +auto and choosing white and black points. Then after your comments, I tried Artie's avg blur method. There was no change in the affected areas. Any suggestions what else could I try? I have not seen roadrunner other than while at Martin refuge so not sure whether it is part of the color.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

The crop is nice. Just a touch of blue here i don't mind it. Hopefully this guy was watching out for that coyote.

5. Thanks Jay Shah thanked for this post
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Jay Shah View Post
    Hi Jonathan, Thanks for taking the time for the comments. I too that there was blur color cast in the tail feathers and near the eyes and the head. But I had checked for color cast before posting using curves --option +auto and choosing white and black points. Then after your comments, I tried Artie's avg blur method. There was no change in the affected areas. Any suggestions what else could I try? I have not seen roadrunner other than while at Martin refuge so not sure whether it is part of the color.
    Jay seems like you are on the right track, where did you sample your white point, the tip of the tail might be a good starter. I would suggest go back to raw and start at Camera raw defaults, then try the tip of the tail, check the blinkies for overexposure, and take it from there.

7. Thanks Jay Shah thanked for this post
    Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default Roadrunner...about to run

Attached Images Attached Images

Hi Jonathan,

I could not find a way to remove that cast. But I found another image that looks cleaner. What do you think?

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Jay I still see blue on the legs bill and tail - this may prove to be correct colouration if that's two of them presumably at different times. If not a simple fix is apply HSE to the TIFF in PS and then select Blues and move the blue slider to the left.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Jonathan, finally I found a way to remove color cast...thanks a lot. Image looks much better. Cheers.

11. Thanks Jonathan Ashton thanked for this post