Thread: Yellow-rumped Warbler

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default Yellow-rumped Warbler

Attached Images Attached Images

These little bird are abundant in NY in the fall. On certain days they are literally everywhere. Getting them to sit still and pose is not so easy. This was taken at Great Kills Park in Staten Island on 10/27/17.

Canon 1DX and Canon 500 f4 ii + 1.4x iii. Processed with DPP 4.6 and PS.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Isaac, lovely angled pose, and the focus is spot on with regards to the DOF being in the right place. The head is tack sharp, and he pops from the clean sky BG. Yes, little guys are always busy, so one needs to be patient to come away with the right shots.

Macro and Flora Moderator Jonathan Ashton's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Nice shot Isaac I like the colours and composition. DOF is a little limited and it looks a tad oversharpened to me.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Good solid image. I wish the warbler had been a bit more parallel to the sensor.
    I like the diagonal line created by the perch. I wonder if this is over sharpened a little bit?
    Nice light and fairly eye level which is nice.
    Gail

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Thanks for the input. I like these sort of images where the head is sharp but the body fades away but I totally understand wanting the bird to be more parallel. As for the sharpening, the only sharpening done was smart sharpen at .5 and 100 after resizing. Honestly once I resize the image and then blow it up it never looks good on my screen anyway so I kind of do a default at .5 and 100. Guess this one was just extra sharp to begin with and needed less but I just can't tell how the final product looks unless I view it after posting.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Isaac 0.5 for Smart sharpen for the final sharpening sounds a bit coarse to me I don't use SS any more but when I did I did rounds at two sizes and they were at 0.3 and 0.1/0.2 respectively.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

I never do any sharpening until after it is downsized. So no sharpning was done at all until I resized at 1200 x 800. Same as I always do. Now I'm curious. How do you sharpen? Multiple steps? Also I guess your 2 rounds add up to .5.
    Last edited by Isaac Grant; 12-16-2017 at 10:10 PM.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Grant I currently sharpen using an action within Tony Kuyper Liminosity set of actions. Prior to that I used an action supplied by the chap Morkel Erasmus recommended. I think the link is still listed. Prior to that I often used a two stage sharpen whereby I would make the image 2x posted size and sharpen using 0.3 radius followed by size to posting size then a further round at 0.1 or occasionally 0.2 at at 20-50.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

I like the shot.

I agree the bird looks too sharp to me as well.

Previously I used to the same Photoshop cc - Smart Sharpen 100, 0.5 (after resizing) . I got this feedback (over sharpened) from lots of folks..

These days I am at smart sharpen 85, 0.3 (Adjusting Fade Amount in Highlights and Shadows ). If I feel its not sharp enough, duplicate this layer and do another round and reduce opacity of this second layer.

Hope it helps.

Thanks for sharing.