Thread: Radiating Colors

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default Radiating Colors

Attached Images Attached Images

Great barbet is the largest barbet at 12-13 inches. It is also one of the most colorful barbets. It is resident of low to mid level mountainous regions. This image was made in China. The image was cropped for composition, BG was blurred a bit to direct attention to this beautiful bird. C&C welcome and appreicated.

Nikon D500, 600 mm f/4
    1/1250 s, f/8, ISO1000

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Jay, stunning colors, nice detail, lovely light, and just enough head turn (for me, anyway). I'm not often a fan of square crops, but this seems to work for me. The image seems a bit oversaturated, but that might have been the light.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Thank you bill. I wish bird had turned a few degrees towards the camera. But I saw this bird (and it was lifer for me!)only twice on one morning out of eight days I was in the area. First time, it was facing the camera head on, but which meant branch was dividing the body. From the second chance, this was the best HA I got. Rest of the day I remember was pretty uneventful, yet I was satisfied as I really thought this Great barbet looked imperious and made my day.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

I have seen this bird many times in Thailand. It is always a treat to see. You have a nice perch and background. Details look good as well. I am not a fan of the artificially blurred backgrounds but this one is OK. I agree with Bill re the head angle. the whole image, but especially the bird is over saturated. I would pull back on the saturation quite a bit.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Isaac. Thanks for your comments. Glad to know you have seen this bird many times before. Assume it must be in Chian Mai as it is not found in KKC in Thailand. You can also find in Himalayas, but was lucky to get a clear perch and reasonable bokeh before giving it a lift. I looked again at the original image and background is actually more saturated. But in retrospect, pulling back on saturation would actually make bird standout even more, so a good suggestion.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

They are common at the higher elevations of Kaeng Krachan and throughout the north. I have been there twice and saw them many times at each location.