Thread: Northern Harrier on the prowl

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default Northern Harrier on the prowl

Attached Images Attached Images

Spent some time last week trying to nab decent shots of some of the Northern Harrier's active in my area. Two finally obliged with some fairly close passes. This was one of my favorites.
    Details: D500, Sigma 500/4 with 1.4 TC, ISO 400, 1/3200, 7.1, HH. CS6.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Nice details and head angle. Well done.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Nice banking turn with her looking at her prey. I wonder if this is a large crop; the detail seems to be there, but maybe not critically sharp.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Cool pose you have here. I can never get anywhere near one of these birds. It's like they know I am around and stay 500 feet away. It looks like the bird was underexposed and you have to lift the shadows. Am I right? Something just seems a touch off with the look of the bird.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Dix View Post
    Nice banking turn with her looking at her prey. I wonder if this is a large crop; the detail seems to be there, but maybe not critically sharp.
    Bill: I'd say it's about a 50% crop.
    Isaac: Yes, this one just happened to get nice and close. He flew through a bit of a valley so the light was less than ideal but just starting to hit his head with the turn. Perhaps I should allow more of the darks to remain. Portions do have a painterly look but i could not find means to avoid this - and - with the head nicely in focus and having details I went with my gut in post... but... lift less? maybe yes...
    Last edited by Jay Ing; 12-14-2017 at 11:51 PM.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Agreed with Bill. My first question would be how big a crop is it? Ideally I like to fill as much of my frame with a bird as possible (within reason of course). The slight lack of image quality is most likely the result of that hefty crop.

Lovely pose otherwise. My suggestion would be to get a ghillie suit and sit in some field you know they hunt regularly in. That method had gotten me so close to harriers here in Australia, that I could barely fit them into the frame at 700mm on a full frame body. Except the light was absolutely atrocious and I was almost in tears for not being able to shoot them in perfect light. Sadly, I ran out of chances there, as the property owner has destroyed most of the good habitat in the hope of building an airstrip for his light aircraft.

Keep up the good work!