Thread: Yellowstone Red

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default Yellowstone Red

Attached Images Attached Images

Red fox peering over the edge of cornice along the Yellowstone River in the Hayden Valley on a foggy morning as the sun is breaking through.

Copyright: D. Robert Franz
    Shutter speed: 1/4000 sec
    Aperture: 8
    Exposure mode: Av
    Exposure compensation: +1/3
    Metering mode: Multi-segment
    ISO: 400
    Lens: EF800mm f/5.6L IS USM

Lifetime Member Rachel Hollander's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Dale - Great to see you posting again! You've been missed. I like the small in frame and the huge amounts of snow here (very different from 2015 when we were there). You don't have an embedded color profile on the image so there may be a color shift depending on browser but even when I bring it into PS the snow has a heavy blue/cyan cast. It may have been that way but I would reduce it if it were mine. Looking forward to more.

TFS,
    Rachel

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

I can see a great deal of potential in this shot as the idea behind it is excellent and your moment of capture wonderful. A few things are holding it back for me though, the main one being that the fox looks somewhat soft. Not sure if that is a processing issue with the image posted here. Rachel has pointed out the blue cast which I noticed too. I think it would improve the image to remove this but not a deal-breaker for me. Worth revisiting, I think, if those things can be worked on. Thanks for sharing.

Macro and Flora Moderator Jonathan Ashton's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

I like the position of the fox and the pose but I too think there is a strong colour cast.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Nice frame. The fox really stands out in this one.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Dale -- Great to see you posting again and what a fabulous image, i like this minimalistic kind of concepts and you done extremely well in framing this image . Agree with others on the colours .

TFS !

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Dale i've always enjoyed you images ,this being no exception love the small in frame and palcement of subject I'm getting the same feeling as Glenn over subject sharpness .

It's the most incredible vista Dale to have fox perring over that edge is almost like having one's cake and eating it,so I'm really nit picking ,i'll leave colour to the others uncalibrated no experience of north america

happy chimbo dale

stu