Thread: Mother and cubs

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default Mother and cubs

Attached Images Attached Images

During my recent visit to Tadoba NationalPark, got an opportunity to see this family. Mother had made a kill little awayand came to fetch the sub adult cubs. It was a blissful sighting. They walked along forabout a Km. and at one point they came together staring at me. It was a quitechallenging situation with moving jeep and excitement.

SS: 1/80
    ISO400
    Nikon D500
    Nikon 200-400 f/4 lens
    FL: 200mm

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Too cool. Love how the three of them are heading right towards you. Nice exposure. Maybe a little more room on the bottom.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Fabulous sighting Sadananda. Three tigers in one frame is quite something. Looks like you were zoomed back as far as you could go for this one so they must have been close. Amazing too that you were able to get a sharp image from a moving jeep at 1/80 sec. It's a shame the head of the middle cat is a bit soft but the rest look wonderful in terms of detail. What aperture were you on for this? Tone and colour look good to me. Thanks for sharing such an amazing sighting. Hope to see more from this encounter if you have some shots.

Wildlife Moderator Steve Kaluski's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Sadananda, what a lovely encounters and being cubs, it does have the cute factor.

Sadly though the image does have three major flaws for me: SS, DoF and the crop.

Shutter speed

You need to practice more with you camera in various conditions to see how far you can push the ISO to gain the SS. Once you now the camera limitations you can build on your knowledge and maximise the captures

DoF
    At F/4 being so close you would have limited DoF, remember the closer the subject is, the more you need and so planning the shot with pre set techs will help you as the kit will need to work harder & faster the closer the subject gets.

Crop
    Can you post the FF image please. With clipped front paw is not ideal although I appreciate everything happens so quickly, but again it all comes down to planning, track your subject from further away and let them come into frame. I love doing this, a method I call hit & run. With that particular lens you has so much scope to zoom in and out, but again may be pre seeing the frame may have helped?

No idea where the focus point was, looks like it was further back, but for me you wanted bang on the centre cub, on the bridge of the nose between the eyes. I'm away so can't really comment on colour or exposure, so will leave it with those who have viewed to pass comment.

TFS
    Steve

Lifetime Member Rachel Hollander's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Sadananda - What an incredible sighting. Those paws are huge. One can only guess just how big the cubs will get when full grown. It's always tough to shoot from a moving vehicle (or boat) but that's really when you need your ss up higher. It's a shame the center tiger is a bit soft. Like Steve, I would have focused on the center one and gone for more dof if possible. I do note that light must have been low because I see you also were at +1 for EC. Colors look good as I take it the sands are very red. Only thing I might adjust is the slight amount of blue creeping in on the whites of the faces. You don't say if this is crop but more room all around and especially in front would be better.

It would be great to have your thoughts on other people's images. We recommend posting 3-5 comments on other wildlife images each time you post one of your own. It's the best way to become part of the community and get the most out of BPN. Your comments don't have to be technical in nature. Just tell us what you like and/or don't like about the image.

TFS,
    Rachel

Threads
    Thank You Posts

A fantastic sighting, and wonderful to have all 3 heading towards you. Good advice already given above, so I'll just say I hope to see more of these

Mike

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Steve,
    Thanks a lot for your excellent critique. This pushes me to go further to achieve better.
    Regarding Shutter speed yes I am really poor in pushing the ISO to get better speeds should start practising it, this is partly a fear of losing the details.
    DOF: This is again related indirectly with ISO as you mentioned, I always try to get the best shutter speeds with least ISO hence lower down the F stop. In this case it's the same. With higher ISOs this should improve in low light conditions.
    Crop: I have not cropped this image at all. As I mentioned that this was taken in a moving gypsy, I didn't have any plan to click the picture but they suddenly walked together which forced me to get some clicks as a record. I have salvaged from this situation. The focusing issue is related to this as my lens was not stable in moving vehicle.

Thanks again for providing your valuable inputs.
    Sadanand.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Thanks a lot to every one for stopping by. These inputs add lot of value to my photography. I love BPN for this.
    Sorry for my late reply. I was travelling whole of last week.

Regards,
    Sadanand.

Wildlife Moderator Steve Kaluski's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Sadananda, learning from our errors (and we all make them, trust me) is a positive, because next time we make fewer, but hopefully create better captures, but it is a constant refining of both camera & your PP skills.

Building on the 'basic' techs shouldn't take too long, but the more you can spend with your camera the better, cropping/framing may take a little longer. Might be worth have some simple settings pre set when you go out, then all you need to check is your Histogram for exposure. I will take a few frame when i set out to gauge the light, SS and ISO and make changes, then refine once I start to shoot. As I said earlier, I can't talk on how far you can push the D500, but personally I go the route of a little noise in a image which is sharp rather than a soft image with zero noise.

Now lets go get some Tiger images.