Thread: Northern Cardinal

Lifetime Member
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default Northern Cardinal

Attached Images Attached Images

Captured this image last month from blind at the Laguna Seca Ranch, Texas in a morning rain. C&C welcome.

D4S, Nikon 500mm f/4G, 1/640s, f6.3, ISO 4000, Gitzo, Wimberley Gimbal head.

Geoffrey

https://500px.com/geoffreymontagu

Threads
    Thank You Posts

I am sure you guys must have been bummed out by the rain but it has helped you make some nice images. Rain can really add a layer of "feeling" to an image.
    Great complimentary BG and you got a perfect pose from this handsome male. The reds look great and I am sure that the overcast rainy day helped in nailing the reds.
    Well done Geoffrey,
    Gail

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Very nice Geoffrey. Those reds fairly brighten up a rainy day. Nice pose, HA and feather detail. Good atmosphere about it. Nice and clean for the ISO Good work.

Will

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Very nice. Love the perch, pose the rain is a great addition.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Bird looks great on the perch. Love the rain. Is is just the water or is the wood too blue? Typically in shade/cloudy conditions there is too much blue in the images and that needs to be accounted for in post. I would consider reducing the blues in the perch.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

I think I know this guy. Well captured with great pose: raised crest and perfect HA. Before seeing Isaac's comment I thought perhaps the entire image seemed just a tad too blue. But that always raises the question: if a shady/cloudy/rainy day makes things look blue, then that's the way they look. Should we change them?

Lifetime Member
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Thanks to everyone and I appreciate your suggestion Isaac on removing some of the blues in the perch. You make a very good point also Bill.

Geoffrey

https://500px.com/geoffreymontagu

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Bill I think the increased blue in low light shots has more to do with the sensors than the light. Sure there are less warm tones to the light so the light is more blue. However I think that one of the major weaknesses with sensor technology is how the sensors deal with these low light situations. I am quite confident that in the field that branch would not have looked blue, but on the monitor it does. Couldn't tell you the science as to why this happens.