Thread: Hello Kitty..thank you for posing...Kotor Bay, Montonegro

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default Hello Kitty..thank you for posing...Kotor Bay, Montonegro

Attached Images Attached Images

Image was made by blending exposure from two bracketed images and with Nik filters for color and contrast.

Between the two exposures, cat turned it's head opening up an opportunity for me to improve my exposure blending skills !! I request and look forward to comments and feedback.

Nikon D810, Nikon 17-35 mm f/2.8 Lens
    f/8, 1/30, Iso 400.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Jay,

A very colourful image and I like the upper left section of the sky. I think your blending technique is still a work in progress however, most obvious by the dark shadow just to the left of the cat. The boat is a little dark also, I would lift the center right of the image... Not sure how you choose to blend the two images, and while I have not done a lot of that i would choose the luminosity masking technique if it were mine. if you are not sure what this is then look up Aaron Dowling, he has actions (some are free) and many videos on how to blend & edit images using luminosity masking. In a nutshell masks are generated for each layer with its opacity based on the brightness of that layer. This allows easier blending of images without any obvious fringes/shadows..

3. Thanks Jay Shah thanked for this post
    Landscapes Moderator Andrew McLachlan's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Jay, excellent advice already given by Don. It has a bit of a heavy handed HDR look to it, which I am not certain works too well for this scene. A beautiful composition though!

5. Thanks Jay Shah thanked for this post
    Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Don & Andrew,

Many thanks for detailed and constructive comments. I used bracketed images for blending. Used sky from the underexposed image, and the cat from the overexposed image... but cat had changed HA between three exposures!! So I had a bit of a fun selecting various parts from three exposures. When I look back at this image now, I do agree a lot can be improved.

I am not an expert but quite familiar with LM. I use actions from Jim McIntyre. Or sometimes, channel based masking.

I think presence of the cat and HA makes the image special from otherwise yet another sunset image. So based on your comments, I am encouraged to rework on the image. Thanks a ton.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Interesting image. I like the placement of the cat. I do agree with others that this looks more like a HDR Image.

Thanks for sharing.

8. Thanks Jay Shah thanked for this post