Thread: Eastern Rosellas

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default Eastern Rosellas

Attached Images Attached Images

A pair of Eastern Rosella at a water point in my front yard. Female taking off, male on the stick.
    1DXII 400mm F/2.8L II 1/2000 f2.8 iso800 slight crop vertical from horizontal

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Good job on the exposure. The jumping bird is quite nice with a great wing position. The dappled sunlit background is distracting. Beautiful birds.

with love, artie
    BIRDS AS ART Blog: great info and lessons, lots of images with our legendary BAA educational Captions; we will not sell you junk. 30+ years of long lens experience/e-mail with gear questions.

BIRDS AS ART Online Store: we will not sell you junk. 35 years of long lens experience. Please e-mail with gear questions.

Check out the new SONY e-Guide and videos that I did with Patrick Sparkman here. Ten percent discount for BPN members,

E-mail me at samandmayasgrandpa@att.net.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Lovely colors. Of course I wish the lower bird was looking at us, but the pose of the bird taking off more than makes up for it. I agree with Artie about the background. You might try lowering the highlights of the BG. But make sure to feather the selection of the birds first, to avoid a halo.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

That top bird looks great with the wings fully raised! I agree with Bill about the lower bird (although we get a great look at the back's patterns), and Artie about the dappled BG. You could toned down the highlights to reduce the impact.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Nice work Colin to get a male and female in focus and with one taking off. Not easy to pull off a shot like this. I agree with other comments about the background being a bit distracting but it does provide good separation for the bird taking off. Perhaps a bit of blur on the background if that didn't clash with your ethics? Overall, the light looks like it was quite challenging here but you've done very well in the circumstances. We have them in our garden often too but I find them considerably more shy than some of the other rosellas and parrots.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Agree with your self critique and the other comments. I really like the HA and wing position of the top bird. Thank you for sharing.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Attached Images Attached Images

Thanks for the comments. I have re-worked the image to tone down the patch of sunlight. Used a cooling mask over the whole image then the healing brush to bring the birds and shaded areas back. Finally Match Color/Neutralize to get the balance right.

8. Thanks Glenn Pure thanked for this post