Thread: Game of death

BPN Viewer
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default Game of death

Attached Images Attached Images

Hello,
    I am posting an image which may be considered fit in Macro/ flora section. But considering that i intend it more as a display of the Wild world than the macro world i am posting here, hoping that it won't be removed.
    Thanks in advance
    A giant butterfly/moth ( i don't know the species), caught in the web of a spider ( Giant widow spider-I might be wrong), which is making a meal out of it.
    Canon EOS 5D4, 500 f/4@ f/7.1, 1/160, ISO 500, evaluative metering,Manual exposure, HH, 30% crop of original size,
    Processed in PSCC17, Curves, brightness, contrast, crop, sharpened.
    Thanks for viewing,
    All Critique welcome.
    Regards
    Abhijit

Threads
    Thank You Posts

This is an excellent capture. And, something completely different. I like it. I like the crop you chose, showing the web. I like how the spiders legs are grabbing the moth. Very nice. Did you manage to get on the other side of the web, would love to have seen the body and head of the spider.

Will

Macro and Flora Moderator Jonathan Ashton's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Exposure and colours look good but the image doesn't look terribly sharp to me, hand holding a 500mm at 1/160 sec I think even with IS is being optimistic because there is probably slight subject movement also. Good camera good lens I would have increased the ISO to at least 2000 and f8. Also as Will points out the real image is on the other side of the butterfly. I am sure you will have other opportunities, I have used the 500mm as an overgrown macro lens myself - it is worth persevering.

4. Thanks Abhijit Deshpande thanked for this post