Thread: Snowy Owl

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default Snowy Owl

Attached Images Attached Images

This shot was taken in Ottawa Ontario last February just as a nasty snow storm was starting. This was my first time photographing snowy owls and i was lucky enough to meet a local guide who let me tag along. I was quite a blast getting as close as we did. I had an extender on my lens but it turns out i didn't need it at all
    1DIV 70-200 f2.8II + 1.4xIII
    140mm 1/2500
    f5.6 iso 1000
    I cloned out a few small dark spots on the snow and cropped from the top to make it 16:9 . nik detail extractor on the bird and smart sharpen after resizing. I really hope to get some shots like this with better light this year .

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default Snowy Owl

I love the eyes. Some how I like the image with no vegetation (trees) in the background.
    Having said that great shot which I would love to get some day.

Thanks for sharing
    Last edited by Krishna Prasad kotti; 12-07-2017 at 04:45 PM.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

This looks pretty amazing Stuart and at such close range. The high key look works well here and makes those eyes stand out superbly. Shame you didn't have a bit more below the bird for composition but a minor issue on what is a remarkable shot. Nice to have those snow flakes in the air too. I hope you do get some more opportunities this year as it would be great to see more.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Very nice. I like the trees and snowflakes in upper frame. Adds some depth to the image.
    Good exposure on the whites as well.
    Gail

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Beautiful. I'm fine with the comp. Trees and snowflakes add to it, and the eyes have it.

Macro and Flora Moderator Jonathan Ashton's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Very impressive the composition and colours are excellent. The chances of getting something like that in UK are a little slim I'd say!

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Glenn Pure View Post
    This looks pretty amazing Stuart and at such close range. The high key look works well here and makes those eyes stand out superbly. Shame you didn't have a bit more below the bird for composition but a minor issue on what is a remarkable shot. Nice to have those snow flakes in the air too. I hope you do get some more opportunities this year as it would be great to see more.
    Glenn, With all due respect, why would you want more featureless white snow below the bird in this frame? It is not a minor issue, it is a non-issue.

with love, artie
    BIRDS AS ART Blog: great info and lessons, lots of images with our legendary BAA educational Captions; we will not sell you junk. 30+ years of long lens experience/e-mail with gear questions.

BIRDS AS ART Online Store: we will not sell you junk. 35 years of long lens experience. Please e-mail with gear questions.

Check out the new SONY e-Guide and videos that I did with Patrick Sparkman here. Ten percent discount for BPN members,

E-mail me at samandmayasgrandpa@att.net.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Arthur Morris View Post
    Glenn, With all due respect, why would you want more featureless white snow below the bird in this frame? It is not a minor issue, it is a non-issue.

with love, artie
    Thanks for that. At risk of sounding formulaic, it would be to give the bird more room to fly in to. I also think an image against an almost pure white background with a few snowflakes here and there could look quite remarkable and perhaps I should have gone into more explanation when I made my comment. But it's also hard to argue with your depth of experience here!

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Glenn Pure View Post
    Thanks for that. At risk of sounding formulaic, it would be to give the bird more room to fly in to. I also think an image against an almost pure white background with a few snowflakes here and there could look quite remarkable and perhaps I should have gone into more explanation when I made my comment. But it's also hard to argue with your depth of experience here!
    Thanks Glenn. My perception is that the bird is in level flight and does not need "more room to fly into." My thoughts were that a small crop from the bottom might improve it.

with love, artie
    BIRDS AS ART Blog: great info and lessons, lots of images with our legendary BAA educational Captions; we will not sell you junk. 30+ years of long lens experience/e-mail with gear questions.

BIRDS AS ART Online Store: we will not sell you junk. 35 years of long lens experience. Please e-mail with gear questions.

Check out the new SONY e-Guide and videos that I did with Patrick Sparkman here. Ten percent discount for BPN members,

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Stuart, This is a lovely image on all counts. Perfect EXP and SH. And just the right amount of trees included. A small crop from the bottom might improve the image design.

I do need to ask, was the bird baited with a live mouse or a lure by anyone?

with love, artie

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Thanks for the comments guys
    Artie , yes it was baited with live mice .

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Stuart Edwards View Post
    Thanks for the comments guys
    Artie , yes it was baited with live mice .
    Thanks Stuart. We ask that folks let us know in the original post if a subject was baited or photographed at a set-up or feeder or if audio was used.

with love, artie