Thread: Red Fox

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default Red Fox

Attached Images Attached Images

Hi folks ...
    another image to share for this month theme , have not posted a foxy image as far as i can remember .Image taken in the Netherlands during my september visit to the bisons , just round the corner is the foxy location the foxes are used to human presence so relatively easy to get close . But they move quickly away when they find out that you have nothing to share ......and move on to the next human being . IN the short time i stayed there i learned that quickly .......but i did not use any food to attract them , others did it a lot and they kept the foxes with themselves . Nevertheless it was fun to watch these guys ...i wait for snow to come ( hopefully) and i will be right back there , for the foxes and the bisons in snow . In the beginning of 2018 i might be very flexible in timing as work will be low , so i can easily take some days off and drive the 250 km to that location .

Location : Amsterdamse Waterleidingduinen at Zandvoort ( Netherlands )

Canon EOS 1Dx II
    EF 200-400 IS L at 467 mm ( TC engaged )
    HH

F 8 ; Iso 2000 ; 1/2500 sec

Processed with DPP 4 and PS CC 2018 ; slight crop from RHS

Thanks for watching and commenting to my previous posting.

Cheers Andreas

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

A beautiful image, Andreas with the added delight of the tongue out. I can 'hear' the fox thinking about the next snack on offer from the tourists. The background is soft and subtle and foreground has a great natural look to it. I'm not mad on the blade of grass across the lower jaw though. I'd be inclined to render it tonally similar to the fox so it blended in better. Interestingly, I think the impinging grass would have been better if there had been more of it. This is a case where many is good but one simply looks wrong to my eye. The tone, colour and detail on the fox really make this for me. I think I could look at this all day and not get bored. Composition is good - but I could also see this with a bit taken off the right too. Overall, a very satisfying image.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Lovely looking frame. I would love to get this close to a red fox. Nice detail on the head and fur. Colours look spot on. Great facial expression with the tongue showing, and the 'I'm coming to get you' look

Will

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Nice portrait. The composition looks good love that tongue.

Macro and Flora Moderator Jonathan Ashton's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

You really nailed it Andreas and the tongue just completes the portrait.

Lifetime Member Rachel Hollander's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Andreas - This just works on all levels, The colors and tones look great. I like the negative space of the comp and the intensity of the fox's gaze into that space. The tongue out takes it up a notch and out of the ordinary image. I hope to see lots of snowy images of bison and foxes in 2018.

TFS,
    Rachel

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Andreas -- This is you at your very best , loved the tight close up with the tongue sticking out , terrific details and colours look fabulous. brilliantly done .

TFS !

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hmm a slightly tame subject can be a real joy at times,and WOW haven't you nailed this chance Andreas,no critique really just wow, superb detail colours look absolutley bang on, pose framing and that tongue make this one fine image for me

Well we have snow here to maybe over there too I too would adore you to share more later on buddy.

This is one inspiring image for me andreas,this is a guy I know,for once, I'd love this to be mine !!

take care cheers for sharing this one

stu

Wildlife Moderator Steve Kaluski's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Andreas, a real corker of an image and the timing 'priceless' with the tongue. Good call on the POV and being side on was perfect.

You better take some good clothing and work on layering, it can be brutal out there and keep a spare battery inside your jacket. The batteries work well and I didn't have an issue at -30 in Finland, but worth keeping a spare warm & toasty. BTW just check if you need to re calibrate your MKII battery. Don't use cotton for base layers and remember, you'll keep warm whilst moving, so when you get too hot you will dehydrate quickly, so pack perhaps another fleece in a backpack for when you are static and photographing as you will cool down quickly in the wind. I use Arctyrex for everything, it just works.

TFS
    Steve

BPN Member
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

I was wondering when the foxes would be coming out! That tongue is just great!

Nicely exposed and rendered. Lots of nice fine detail in the fur - looking soft and tactile. Has to be in the sharpening!

Thanks for sharing!

Story Sequences Moderator and Wildlife Moderator Gabriela Plesea's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Dear Andreas,

I cannot believe you waited so long to post this! Superb portrait of this lovely fox, wonderful colours and tonality, IQ is great.

Love that pose from the subject, lots of intent there, great expression! Awesome BG as well, this ticks all the boxes for me Boetie - congrats!!!

Kind regards,
    Gabriela Plesea