Thread: Grey Seal in evening light

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default Grey Seal in evening light

Attached Images Attached Images

Hi folks ....have not seen a seal posted for a short time here , here you go . So you do not forget how they do look like
    Image taken on Helgoland during summer of 2015 .....better times in terms of weather , compared to my last winter trips . Keep fingers crossed for me as i am going to Helgoland on the 12th for the pupping season.
    Kept the loose cropping for the shadow to stay within the frame , i could have gone tighter but diid not want to bash too many pixels .
    Kept the blue/cyan as it appeared natural for me under the lighting situation

Canon EOS 1Dx
    Ef 500 IS L II
    HH

F 8 ; Iso 2500 ; 1/1600 sec

Processed with DPP 4 and PS CC 2018; cropping and little gardening in the BG

Thanks for watching and commenting to my previous posting

Cheers Andreas

Lifetime Member Rachel Hollander's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Andreas - The light definitely looks nicer and warmer than most of your seal images. Do the fences come down in summer so that you are shooting from a different angle or was it low tide? The beach looks wider here. Do you have the whole shadow on the rhs? If not, I think you can go a little tighter and it won't matter. If you do have the whole shadow then I would go wider. Nice detail and pov. I like the alert sitting up pose of the seal too. Nice one overall.

TFS,
    Rachel

Lifetime Member Rachel Hollander's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Andreas - I meant to ask if you removed something in the bg and left its shadow. The darker areas in the urc look like shadow, but the shadow of the seal is going to the right so there is nothing to cast that shadow which makes it look strange.
    Thanks,
    Rachel

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Very sweet shot, Andreas. I love the colours in this one including the bluish shadows that you've retained in the great light you had here. Detail look superb as usual and tones wonderful. Composition works well for me. No nits from me on this one. Lovely work.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Thanks Rachel and Glenn for your comments , much appreciated .
    Rachel - luckily there are no fences on helgoland so far . Yes image taken at low tide .... as stated in the intro the crop has to stay as posted , as i do not want to pixel bash more.
    Sadly i do not have the whole shadow in the frame , if i had , i would have cropped it to keep the whole shadow in the frame. Nothing done in the URC , just on the LHS.

Thanks Andreas

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Nice light here. Like the composition and the detail on the seal.

Wildlife Moderator Steve Kaluski's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Andreas, love the light and expression in the capture. The pose is nice but for me there is too much space to the right, but the techs look good, likewise the height/POV.

TFS
    Steve

Story Sequences Moderator and Wildlife Moderator Gabriela Plesea's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Dear Boetie Andreas,

A lovely, sunny, cheerful frame and I really like to see something different from you, always a nice surprise. Such wonderful warmth here. Well processed and great detail where it matters, not sure on the framing though as I would like to retain that shadow but at the same time I too feel there's too much space on the RHS. I like the expression on the seal's face, it is consistent with the mood and feel of the image overall.

You must have an unlimited supply of seal images, I am so jealous! But really pleased to view this tonight and I find it uplifting. Sensibly processed (as expected) and such a pleasure to view, thank you Andreas

Kind regards,
    Gabriela Plesea

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Beautiful light, and so nice to be able to get that low angle on them! Hope you get better light at Helgoland for tis years brood

Mike