Thread: Bison (Bison bison)

Macro and Flora Moderator Jonathan Ashton's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default Bison (Bison bison)

Attached Images Attached Images

Hand held Canon 1DX Canon 100-400 L IS II @ 135mm, Auto ISO +1/3, 25,600, 1/1000 sec, f9
    ACR + PSCC (Bues removed and Tint checked slightly)

All C&C welcome

Wildlife Moderator Steve Kaluski's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hey, Jon, welcome to the world of 'High ISO' good fun isn't it?

Looks good, although at this size it seems to have good detail and clarity. No idea on your cropping but an alternative is less above more below, if you have it????

TFS
    Steve

PS Scary eyes!!!

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Kaluski View Post
    Hey, Jon, welcome to the world of 'High ISO' good fun isn't it?

Looks good, although at this size it seems to have good detail and clarity. No idea on your cropping but an alternative is less above more below, if you have it????

TFS
    Steve

PS Scary eyes!!!
    Full frame image Steve you guys are too astute for adding canvas..... or I'm just not good enough!

Wildlife Moderator Steve Kaluski's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Full frame image Steve you guys are too astute for adding canvas.... or I'm just not good enough!
    OK

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Jon ....great to see you pushing things !!
    Agree that the frame does look good at this size , i personally would drop the output sharpening a fraction on the bright side of life .
    Think you can afford a bit more tonal depth in the coat through a mid tone mask at x% ....
    I am with Steve on the crop .....but would stay away from canvas extension ....you can only loose and not gain any applause for your work , as there is not enough good info to extend .

I must say the facial expression does look odd/funny to me of that bison .

TFS Andreas

Lifetime Member Rachel Hollander's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Jon - It looks good at this size with excellent detail. Agree with Andreas about maybe a bit more depth in the midtones. Since this is ff and you don't have more below, I might try a bit of a tighter crop from the right and above. It definitely looks like the bison was checking you out too.

TFS,
    Rachel

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

A very close encounter, Jon. I don't think I'll ever tire of your bison images. I enjoy them greatly. This one looks very nice to me and impressive for the ISO used. Not sure how will these hold up to larger sizes at that ISO. You did not mention what you did to treat noise here. Did you give your Neat Image a run as you haven't mentioned it. The short focal length has given good DOF and I'm happy with the crop as it stands although I think it would also be fine a bit tighter too. Lovely detail, tone and colour -thanks for sharing.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Attached Images Attached Images

Thanks to everyone fro you comments. The image was overexposed manually, my logic dictated that underexposure = noise so slight overexposure should minimise it. With the subject being dark to begin with it would naturally be a bit overexposed, I then added another 1/3. On the first post I did apply a little Neat image I got a 95% profile manually, to be honest I didn't see a great deal of difference with or without. I also applied a small amount of tonal contrast and detail extractor.
    This is another version taking into consideration your comments, it does not have NR applied. I used a soft light layer (top left grasses) to make tonal adjustments , no tonal contrast or detail extractor applied. I used TK mask on the shoulder region for mid tones. WDYT?

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Nice frame like the tight crop and the direct stare. Looks really good for such a high ISO.

Story Sequences Moderator and Wildlife Moderator Gabriela Plesea's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Dear Jon,

It took me about 30 minutes to download this image because internet is very slow on my side. So I thought to myself " this better be good", LOL.

It is not good, it is very good Really nice to see you push the limits of your gear and I really like the RP. I guess Andreas will be very pleased with those rich chocolatey tones, I certainly am!

Lovely detail Jon and I like the pose, kind of threatening and mixed with (maybe) fear and inquisitiveness, still trying to make up my mind what the subject is feeling. Those eyes make the image for me, expression very well captured.

Really enjoyed viewing, let us have some more? I am indeed slow to reply these days but stubbornly going through each post every night, won't miss anything

Kind regards,
    Gabriela Plesea

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Thanks Gabriela glad you liked it.