Thread: Black buck

BPN Viewer
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default Black buck

Attached Images Attached Images

Hello!
    " Up, Up & Away"
    Posting an image of Blackbuck,a fast breeding species of deer. They do create magic moments like these. A nice looking subject, shy of photographers, but fun to image
    Canon EOS 7D, canon 500 mm f/4@ f/4, i/1600, ISO 250, Evaluative metering, manual exposure, Handheld. PS CC 2017, Curves, contrast, Cropped 20% from original, sharpening, NR.
    There was a bit of the ground from where it too off, but had a lot of the grass adding not much to the image, hence cropped out.
    Velavadar National park, Gujarat, India
    All critique welcome.
    Thanks for watching
    Regards
    Abhijit

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Doc -- Superbly timed !

I think it looks quite dark and by looking at the histogram you can up the exposure. The techs are not that pleasing , i might have gone for something between f5.6 to 7.1 range and that iso is again lacking. one or two rounds of sharpening will further add to the sharpness , appears a bit soft to me. Nicely done.

TFS !

3. Thanks Abhijit Deshpande thanked for this post
    Macro and Flora Moderator Jonathan Ashton's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Impressive capture well done! I would be inclined to go back to the raw and increase exposure or remap the mid tones, the image looks a bit too dark to me (though I note you have used the histogram extremeties). I must admit I would be thrilled to bits to get a shot like this.

5. Thanks Abhijit Deshpande thanked for this post
    Lifetime Member Rachel Hollander's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Abhijit - excellent timing and also great positioning in the frame. Not easy to do. You've gotten excellent suggestions from Haseeb and Jon both for in the field and in pp. I agree with all of them, especially the additional sharpening to the buck.

TFS,
    Rachel

7. Thanks Abhijit Deshpande thanked for this post
    Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Abhijit, I also concur with the critiques so far on brightness and level of detail. I think this is worth revisiting as the shot has a lot going for it as you've captured an excellent moment here.

9. Thanks Abhijit Deshpande thanked for this post
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Abhijit. what a great dynamic capture of the Black Buck .
    Timing and framing does look about perfect to me , i do agree with the others about the " technical " stuff.A revisit is well worth a try.

TFS Andreas

BTW ....this species does not belong to the deer family , it is an antelope .

BPN Viewer
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Attached Images Attached Images

Hi,
    Thanks all of you for your inputs & appreciation.
    Posting a RP. I upped the exposure, played a bit with curves, cropped, sharpened with Smart sharpen, applied NR, did a second round of sharpening. Please lemme now if i ve made a mistake anywhere? is it any better now.
    Thanks Haseeb,Jon,Rachel,Glenn for the technical critique..
    Thanks Andreas for correcting me on the species thing.
    Regards
    Abhijit

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Awesome frame this buck is getting some serious air. Perfect timing. The repost is very well done.

Story Sequences Moderator and Wildlife Moderator Gabriela Plesea's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Dear Abhijit,

Great timing here and perfect framing! I just think 1/1600s was just not enough for this fast flying (and very beautiful) subject, 1/2500s would have given you so much more detail I guess this leap was a bit of a surprise for you, so no time to change settings?

Just asking out of curiosity: where is the focal point, can you check? Otherwise, the buck stands out nicely against the dark BG ( BTW, RP is much better) and I really like this outstretched body across the frame.

A well composed image and really a magic moment - I do appreciate and understand how special this is, heartfelt thanks for sharing and looking forward to more from you

Kind regards,
    Gabriela Plesea

14. Thanks Abhijit Deshpande thanked for this post
    BPN Viewer
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Gabriela,
    Thanks for your words of appreciation.
    This is a very fast moving fellow, so as you rightly guessed, no opportunity to really achieve ideal settings, but i guess i did good considering the whole scenario.
    Thanks again
    Regards
    Abhijit