Thread: Sossusvlei, Namibia

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default Sossusvlei, Namibia

Name:  IMG_3820-BPN.jpg
Views: 95
Size:  395.2 KB
    My first post to this forum. I have looked here from time to time and liked a lot of the work but I'm not much of a landscape photographer - just a dabbler every now and then. So please excuse my limited skill in this genre. This shot was taken just near dawn outside the park entrance to the famous Sossusvlei sand dunes in Namibia in May during a month long visit to different parts of Africa. We were waiting (along with a long queue of vehicles) for the gates to open. A spectacular area and I may get around to posting a couple of other shots, especially from here and elsewhere in Namibia which has such superb desert landscapes. Horizon straightened and a little off the left and top for this image. Great place for a balloon ride.

Thank you for taking a look and any comments you are kind enough to share.

Technical: Canon 80D with EF-S18-135mm f/3.5-5.6 IS STM at 56mm handheld from vehicle. Manual exposure 1/1000 sec, f5, ISO 640. Processed in Canon DPP 4 (digital lens optimiser @ 50, sharpness = 3, crop, lighting adjustments, NR) then exported 16 bit TIFF to Photoshop Elements for selective lighting adjustments. Sharpened in PSE (Sharpness tool, remove Gaussian Blur: 0.3 pixels at 50%) after final size reduction.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Glenn..

Welcome and well done with the image.. The broad expanse of the desert, soft pastel sky and the balloons are all very appealing.. My only wish is that the lower balloon did not intersect the ridge line, easy to fix in post or maybe by waiting an extra 5 minutes... I find isolation of the elements in an image works more time than not in landscapes..

Don

3. Thanks Glenn Pure thanked for this post
    Landscapes Moderator Andrew McLachlan's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Glenn,

I am late getting to this image, but welcome to the Landscape forum. As Don mentions a separation of the elements really does help a composition such as this. In addition to Don's suggestion of waiting for the baloon to rise you could have also laid down on the sand to create some separation.

5. Thanks Glenn Pure thanked for this post