Thread: Coyote

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default Coyote

Attached Images Attached Images

Saw this yote roaming around a field while driving. Pulled over and grabbed a few frames. Has a good amount of black in its fur. Most of the ones i have seen have more of a grey with orange/red fur. Image adjustments in Lightroom.

Hand held, Small crop.

Canon 5D MarkIII
    Sigma 150-600 Contemporary
    468mm
    ISO 1600
    f6.3
    1/500sec

Macro and Flora Moderator Jonathan Ashton's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Its a nice shot but looks just a tad bight to me, just the smallest adjustment in curves: mark centre point then down arrow - input 128 output 126 makes a significant difference WDYT?

Story Sequences Moderator and Wildlife Moderator Gabriela Plesea's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

I too like this John, very much.

Face of subject is sharp with good detail. Love the pose there with head slightly down, makes one think the coyote is focused on tracking down its next meal.

Colours look good, albeit a bit more punch won't hurt - matter of taste, of course. Nice sensible processing, looks effortless ( as it should be)

Very special sighting and you were lucky to spot this chap in the open, I wonder what he was up to...

Thank you so much for sharing, let us have some more please

Kind regards,
    Gabriela Plesea

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Great looking animal, John. Nice pose and sense of motion in this capture too. I agree with Jon that it's a tad on the bright side and addressing that will lift this one for me. Slightly tighter framing would also suit my taste better... but it's your photo in the end!

Lifetime Member Rachel Hollander's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi John - I very much like the placement in frame and the walking pose of the coyote. I agree with Jon's suggestion and would also reduce the saturation of the yellows by -10 to -15 if it were mine. Easy fixes that I think really improve an already very good image. Was this in Ithaca? I never saw or heard of coyotes up there when I lived in the area for college and law school.

TFS,
    Rachel

Wildlife Moderator Steve Kaluski's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi John, I feel being much lower (at eye level) would have been better, lying down looking slight up and added to the POV. I like the 'trotting' position, head down, focused ahead. Like the deer images, I agree the image could drop by a third of a stop and the yellows & greens need tweaking which will also help creating some more depth/detail in the grass. I would also suggest on a 16x10 crop going slightly tighter as an option.

TFS
    Steve

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Rachel Hollander View Post
    Hi John - I very much like the placement in frame and the walking pose of the coyote. I agree with Jon's suggestion and would also reduce the saturation of the yellows by -10 to -15 if it were mine. Easy fixes that I think really improve an already very good image. Was this in Ithaca? I never saw or heard of coyotes up there when I lived in the area for college and law school.

TFS,
    Rachel

Hey Rachel, this was not in Ithaca about 15-20 miles south of Ithaca.

8. Thanks Rachel Hollander thanked for this post