Thread: Sanderling

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default Sanderling

Attached Images Attached Images

I have made an effort this year to try and concentrate on capturing birds in a more interesting and unique way than I used to. I try and photograph them in the kind of light or setting that is more memorable. Getting a sharp photo in many cases is not really an accomplishment with such high end gear. This Sanderling shot is along the lines of what I have been trying to get. It was high tide and the sun was setting. I got into position at the high point on the beach knowing that my best chance to get them standing still was at this spot as it wasn't getting pounded by waves there. As luck would have it, the whole flock stopped right where I was and started to preen. They actually stood still and so I slowly crawled towards them until I was in range. From 6/1/17 at Breezy Point in Queens, NY.

Canon 1DX and Canon 500 f4 ii + 1.4x iii. ISO 1600, F8, SS 1/1600

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Really fabulous. Color is great, and the pose brought an immediate smile to my face! I think you succeeded.
    Greg

BPN Limited Member
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Love this shot! What a beautiful bird & background!

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Nice pose from this little guy. Beautiful background and foreground. Never seen a sanderling with that much rust color to it. Well done
    Come join me for a Custom Raptor Workshop starting this November 2019- January 2020.
    P.M. me to inquire on dates, pricing and availabilities. Thank You.
    www.davidsalemphotography.com

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Very appealing. I love the colouring on this individual. Good call going vertical I do wish to see the tail a wee bit more, but overall this works very nicely for me.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Isaac, This is a beautiful image. I really like the use of the soft horizontal lines, i like the vertical comp, and the colors on the bird are amazing to me. Were you using a ground pod of some sort? I've been trying vertical shots while I'm on my belly and it's super uncomfortable. Thanks for sharing.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

It's all been said Isaac: really beautiful shot. Wonderful colour and tone, great low POV and simple, plain foreground and background that really make this little colour ball stand out superbly. Very nice indeed.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Noel Heustis View Post
    Were you using a ground pod of some sort? I've been trying vertical shots while I'm on my belly and it's super uncomfortable. Thanks for sharing.
    Hi Noel, have you tried a battery grip with your 7DII? It has shutter/focus and rear buttons for verticals...

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Daniel Cadieux View Post
    Hi Noel, have you tried a battery grip with your 7DII? It has shutter/focus and rear buttons for verticals...
    No. I'll have to check that out. Thanks.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Daniel's recommendation is perfect as usual. Get a grip and verticals become much easier. This is shotnon a 1dx and it has controls for vertical and horizontal in it. My shot was cropped to vertical. I use the same tripod that Arthur Morris does. its an Induro. The legs splay to where the tripod is almost laying flat on the ground. It's not the most comfortable thing but I can manage it for a long time. I own the ground pod but don't ever use it as the tripod is great.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Love the pose, plumage intense color and the simplicity of the image. Well done!