Thread: Semipalmated Sandpiper

Lifetime Member
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default Semipalmated Sandpiper

Attached Images Attached Images

I captured this image at the East Pond, early morning, Jamaica Bay, NY in August of 2014. C&C welcome.

D700, Nikon 500mm f/4G, 1/400s, f 7.1, ISO 640, Skid pod.

Geoffrey

https://500px.com/geoffreymontagu

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

I'm not often a fan of oof birds in the BG, but sometimes it works. It works for me here. In fact, I really like the ethereal quality of this. My only wish, of course, would be for the HA of the oof bird to match that of the main subject. Beautiful light, and seamless quality of the bg/fg.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Geoffrey, like Bill I really like the seamless nature of the BG/FG and almost perfectly still water. I think the oof bird adds to the scene.

Lifetime Member
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Dix View Post
    I'm not often a fan of oof birds in the BG, but sometimes it works. It works for me here. In fact, I really like the ethereal quality of this. My only wish, of course, would be for the HA of the oof bird to match that of the main subject. Beautiful light, and seamless quality of the bg/fg.
    Thanks Bill. As will have it, the very next frame in the sequence is closer to what you were wishing for. I had looked at it, liked it also, but felt the bird in BG was adding some interest searching for crustaceans.

Geoffrey

Name:  ©-2017-Geoffrey-Montagu-DSC-2a_0822_01-Jamaica-Bay--Semipalmated-Sandpiper-2.jpg
Views: 31
Size:  35.8 KB

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Geoffrey, this is a really wonderful image. The thumbnail doesn't do it any justice. Such a lovely surprise to open this one. As Bill notes, this has a great 'dreamy' feel to it - soft light, still water with a hint of ripple and muted tones and colours of the same add to the mood. The bird stands out wonderfully and I like the OOF one in the background. Framing and composition work for me too. As for original or repost, I actually like the original better as I actually like the different pose on the rear bird but can't really explain why. Only thing I notice on this is your interpretation of colour. I could also see this with a touch less blue/cyan in it but the current version works a treat.

Lifetime Member
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Thanks Bill, Noel, and Glenn.

Geoffrey