Thread: Burrowing owl - Where is my coffee ?!?

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default Burrowing owl - Where is my coffee ?!?

Attached Images Attached Images

First time posting here for critique:

I photographed this burrowing owl in Cape Coral, Florida. My first time seeing this beautiful bird. Early in the morning I found this active burrow with this guy right behind a small hill. The sun was right behind me, but I could only see the top part of the owl (because of the hill). If I got higher the background got ugly. I decided to watch him for a little bit and was lucky enough to capture this picture.

Canon 7D Mk II
    Canon 100-400 Mk II + 1.4TC Mk II, at 560mm
    1/400
    f/8
    ISO 1600
    Hand held, sitting down.

Processed with PS CS6. Cropped from horizontal to vertical, white balance adjusted (it had a very yellow color cast), mild selective noise reduction to the background and resized for web using Andreas Resch WebSharpener script.

I would have liked to use a smaller aperture to get all the bird in focus but I didn't want to go higher on my ISO or slower on my SS.

C&C are welcomed and appreciated.
    Thanks for looking!

Happy shooting,
    Juan

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Attached Images Attached Images

Juan, welcome to the forum. A few critiques, color looks a bit on the pink/red side, maybe a square crop would work better on this , to much room on top,
    seems over sharpened and a bit noisy too. Looking forward to seeing more.

-Tim

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Juan, I don't have anything super useful to add other than encouragement. That's pretty exciting to catch him yawning like that the first time you got to see one in the wild. It's got a great expression on it's face and the title of the post is perfect. I like the specs of sand on the beak and around the eye. I really like Tim's repost for both the color and the crop.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Thanks for your comments Tim and Noel. I agree with the crop and the color change, Thanks!
    I see how the image doesn't look clean. I was not very aggressive with the sharpening but there is noise that makes it look "dirty". I will reprocess and re post. Thanks again!

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

I like this version more than the original but still not completely happy with the color. There is a bluish tint to the edge of the bird... :(
    Let me know what you guys think,
    Juan
    Name:  241A1185_1000b.jpg
Views: 148
Size:  261.5 KB
    Last edited by Juan Fernandez; 12-02-2017 at 07:38 PM.