Thread: Black-tailed Godwit

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default Black-tailed Godwit

Attached Images Attached Images

The Black-tailed Godwit was high on my target list for Iceland last year. Unfortunately, the only time I had a shot at him, he flew into a boggy area that obscured his feet. Still, I was delighted just to see this handsome bird.

D7200, 500f4 + 1.4 TC, ISO 1600, 1/2500s @ f/6.3 manual.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Striking bird. Love Black-tailed Godwits. We have one record of them in NY and it was of a full breeding plumaged male. Such a hot bird. I love the bird in the grass. Don't mind the feet not showing in this type of shot. The problem with this type of shot where you have a bird in tall grass it is very difficult to make the grass look natural after you have applied NR to the shot. Also the bird does not seem to have excellent fine feather details. It is nice but not up to your usual standards. Maybe you can back off the NR a bit? I also think the shot is a little on the dark side. Not familiar with your sensor but wonder if you could increase the exposure a bit without introducing more noise.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Bill, I would have been excited to see that bird as well. It's a striking bird. I like the placement in the frame.