Thread: One From The Archives !

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default One From The Archives !

Attached Images Attached Images

Hello everyone !

Here is an image taken at Tadoba way back in 2013 . Definitely the techs are not ideal but it amazes how BPN has come to the rescue in so many aspects of my photography. Unfortunately I have not been on the field from a very long time now, say nearly 8 months hence decided to dig out something from the archives to post here. Your comments and suggestions are most welcome and i am definitely looking forward to it.

DPP4.5, WB,CS6, curves, selective colour, Sharpening , cropped slightly from all four sides.

Canon 1D MK IV, Canon 300mm f4 IS , bean bag.

1/160 sec; f/5.6; ISO 800

PS: It was a late evening shot when we were on our way back as time for exit was almost up. We saw this female standing right in the middle of the track and hence we had to stop our vehicle to let her cross over. But she decided to walk the path and when our driver tried to start the vehicle , it failed to start and then it was a long journey , pushing our vehicle and this tigress was leading the way for us for a good couple of miles.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Great image and story..love the expression and the tongue... thank god she was not hungry so did not want to be compensated for leading the way!

3. Thanks haseeb badar thanked for this post
    BPN Viewer
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Haseeb,
    Badhiya hai!. Could you have gone a bit lower here? any chance for upping the SS? I felt the whiskers a bit too soft. Nice feel to the image though! evening light in TATR!!!!!
    Abhijit

5. Thanks haseeb badar thanked for this post
    Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Thank you Jay and Doc ! Going lower was not an option unfortunately but in doing so might have made the FG track with rocks a bit more obstructing. ss is definitely not quite there as I said it was before being active on BPN and hence was very conservative with the ISO and that has resulted in not a tack sharp image along with few very excited souls in the jeep to make the matters worse .

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Looks like she is eyeing you off for dinner, with that tongue out! I think you've done very well given the light you had to work with but seems there were a few opportunities to be had. The tone and colour here look very natural and reflective of the time of day. I could also see this working with a bit more contrast and 'punch' as well but it's simply a matter of how you want to interpret the image. I think the crop works but I could also imagine it a bit tighter too, if the IQ held up.

8. Thanks haseeb badar thanked for this post
    Macro and Flora Moderator Jonathan Ashton's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

I like the image but I think the colours are a bit awry. I have taken the liberty of modifying colour temp also added a few points of Black to Neutrals WDYT?

10. Thanks haseeb badar thanked for this post
    Lifetime Member Rachel Hollander's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Haseeb - Worth revisiting just to see how far you've come since then. Nice pose and eye contact. I agree with the comments above. I like what Jon has done, just watch the cyans creeping into the whites of the face.

TFS,
    Rachel

12. Thanks haseeb badar thanked for this post
    Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Thank you Rachel, Glenn and Jonathan !

@ Jon: I really liked what you have done in your RP , and infact was abt to post a RP myself as per Steve's email and this is almost in that direction . Thank you very much for this wonderful RP , really takes the image in the right direction .

Wildlife Moderator Steve Kaluski's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Haseeb, well you have come along way since taking this, but good to often revisit old files, albeit the techs won't have changed.

A busy environment but that's India for you and little you can do with the tracks you have to use in the reserves, with no going off road. The techs aren't great, albeit that it looks sharp, but you I know will have changed them if shot now. I like the pose of the tiger, side on, head to camera and the tongue out, almost liking his lips in anticipation. Head looks/appears almost central in frame, but I personally think you could loose some space on the RHS. I would also loose the rock in the FG and so a simple pano crop may provide another option.

Dropping some exposure, cleaning up the whites and just tweaking the colour management I think just pulls the image back to where it needs to be and dovetails nicely with the original capture. The foundations are all there and you have certainly honed your skills nicely. Keep up the good work and really keen to see new shots with the new kit.

TFS
    Steve

PS Done on the laptop so not ideal.

15. Thanks haseeb badar thanked for this post
    Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Steve -- Eliminating that rock really helps , also much better tones in your RP , i would prefer something between Jon's RP and yours . The crop also works .

Well i have finally seen a tiger or rather tigers after seven long months , and got a couple of good frames also ( that is what I think ) , but posting here on BPN will provide better understanding .