Thread: theme Wilson's Snipe

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default Theme - Wilson's Snipe

Attached Images Attached Images

I took this yesterday. There's not exactly a plethora of shore birds in Eastern, Mid-Missouri, particularly late November. I spotted a these Wilson's Snipes and it took a couple weekends ago and it took time to determine their feeding pattern, find a good hiding spot close to the lake shore, and wait for good weather. I have quite a few solo images as the group(flock?) walked by, but I kind of like this group image. I'm somewhat new to this forum. Can you enter more than one image per month's contest? This is full frame with only a minor crop to adjust level.
    Nikon D500/500mmF4VRII/TC-14EIII
    F8, 1/1250s, iso500
    Jack
    Last edited by Jack Backs; 11-26-2017 at 05:10 PM.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Amazing colour on those birds Jack - I'm not familiar with them but find them very eye-catching. Nice feeding pose as well and well framed in this composition which works for me. The direct light has created a very strong and contrasty image and quite an intense background and foreground. I think this works fine although I could also imagine some other treatments that reduced this contrast and brightness a little. Debatable whether the result would be 'better' though. Nice work.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Love the blues here i think all the birds work together.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Colors are very nice. I love Wilson's Snipe and you are lucky to have them feeding in the open like this. I don't think that the background birds help this image at all. Also I think your front bird is placed too far right in the frame. It is better to give some room for the bird to move into. Also it makes for a far more engaging image if the birds head is angled towards us a few degrees as opposed to facing away. So for me this one is close but not there.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

I pretty much agree with your points. The theme is "shore birds" not "shore bird".