Thread: one week old

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default one week old

Attached Images Attached Images

This little guy was only as tall as the safari vehicle, you can see the umbilical cord still attached. Masai Mara late evening, choosing to have the characteristic tree out of focus. Nice thing about giraffe is that they are so inquisitive with photographers.
    Canon 1DXII and 400/2.8II, processed in Lightroom.
    f2.8, 1/2000, ISO200
    Greg

Lifetime Member Rachel Hollander's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Attached Images Attached Images

Hi Greg - It's nice to see a giraffe so young and I like the placement in frame as well as the tree. The tree balances the frame. Again, the image is very warm and red for the conditions described. How do you set the wb in post? Here's a rp in which I only tweaked the WB using the eyedropper and also applied a little ccw rotation which I thought it needed. I'm curious about your choice of techs. You certainly had the ss and room to up the ISO to gain some dof. Why shoot wide open when it looks like you still had sufficient light?

TFS,
    Rachel

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Greg, never seen a baby giraffe before so thanks for sharing this. I'd love to see one myself. Interesting that the oxpeckers have already found it! This image looks quite unreal to my eye. It has the look of an old historical frame. I'm not entirely sure what is contributing to that (or whether it is deliberate): maybe the vignette, maybe the warm saturated colour, maybe the composition too. I think the image has quite a lot going for it and I do like the symmetry created by the tree and giraffe in similar but opposite positions in the frame. I'd be tempted to try this without the vignette and maybe desaturate the colour a touch? Otherwise, I'm stuck for further suggestions.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Rachel, thanks for the repost, it looks good, but the catch for me was that the shy was grey in that direction, not blue, but perhaps I should not worry about that... For my techs, please do not try to read too much into a single image, I was changing a lot here as I had time, but for this one I had gone shallow as the little giraffe was parallel to the sensor and I wanted to put the ISO into the optimum range for the sensor to take advantage of the golden light coming from behind. I had other choices for when I wanted to freeze a moving tail or when the giraffe was at a different angle, this was just where this landed in the changing conditions.
    Greg

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Glenn, yes the oxpeckers don't wait around. We were a little worried about this guy as he was a bit separated from the parents, but we saw him again the next day, so all was good despite the lions around the area. I think the unreal nature is coming from the golden color and maybe the narrow depth of field. I remember when I was in Namibia my guides said the young giraffe are redder while the older ones are brown, but I think it is more just the light.
    Greg

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Greg -- i really liked the scene and it seems you are quite fond of getting the young ones framed. Lovely settings and light . I agree with what Rachel has to say especially the WB and techs. The POV is also quite good . very nicely framed , TFS !

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

It is a cracking image in wonderful light and perfectly balanced. Love it !! Just a pity the image doesnt have some sort of referance to show just how small the little guy is

Wildlife Moderator Steve Kaluski's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

I quite like the scene Greg, but Basil raised a good point IMHO and you do need something in frame to give scale to the subject. I'm not a fan of the soil creeping in at the foot, going 16x10 removes the sliver of soil and I think the image can work also in that format. The Ox P is a nice addition and ditto the slight twist of the head. The WB is just a fraction off, before you tweak it and so I like the OP because you get that rich light set against a forbidding sky. Techs well I'm not a fan of shooting at such a shallow setting, f/6.3 (subject to distance) and if the ISO on the MK2 went to 800 no issue. If you have added a vignette i would remove it, but also use Spot removal for the Dust bunny in the sky about half an inch down and back in the centre.

TFS
    Steve

Macro and Flora Moderator Jonathan Ashton's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

I rather like the rich colours, it adds to this unusual image, it's different and I like it.

10. Thanks greg cowle thanked for this post
    Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Basil, there is an oxpecker for reference if you look closely!
    Greg