Thread: Stilt Sandpiper

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default Stilt Sandpiper

Attached Images Attached Images

In mid August I visited the East Pond of Jamaica Bay Wildlife Refuge in Queens, NY. The day supposed to have clear skies and perfect light, but was instead badly overcast. Thankfully there was about 2 minutes of perfect sun early in the morning that poked through the clouds. This juvenile Stilt Sandpiper was feeding really close to me in a dark cove. This was the most tame Stilt Sandpiper I had ever seen. As luck would have it, it gave me a couple turns where the light hit it just right. I stayed higher than I usually do so I could get the reflection in the dark water.

Canon 1DX and Canon 100-400 ii. ISO 1250, F6.3, SS 1/2500
    Last edited by Isaac Grant; 11-25-2017 at 05:56 PM.

Lifetime Member
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

East Pond is one of my favorite spots. Good you had the combination of the great light and a tame Stilt Sandpiper, Isaac. I like that you captured him at belly depth with nice ripples in the dark water.

Geoffrey

https://500px.com/geoffreymontagu

Macro and Flora Moderator Jonathan Ashton's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Nicely positioned good details. The colours appear to me to be slightly rich, I may be wrong because I haven't seen one. Perhaps the contrast could be lowered a little??

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Love the reflection and the greens. The ripples are a nice touch.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Lovely pose and colors, good sharpness. The early morning dark green of the pond makes him jump out nicely.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Jonathan Ashton View Post
    Nicely positioned good details. The colours appear to me to be slightly rich, I may be wrong because I haven't seen one. Perhaps the contrast could be lowered a little??
    Jonathan, I agree with you. This was an insanely well marked and colorful individual. What is interesting is that the RAW is like this as well. I went back and forth on doing something. Do you think that something about the bright light just touching the dark cove made the scene too contrasty? There were 3 other juvenile close by and this bird was the brightest by far. I'd be very interested in hearing others thoughts on this type of scenario producing contrasty birds.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

The contrast looks just fine to me. Beautiful bird and sharp with a sweet BKGR. There are a few new (first winter) feathers coming in on the back. Did you take a speck off the bird's cheek or is the speck on the reflection in the water? Either way, I'd lose it.

with love, artie
    BIRDS AS ART Blog: great info and lessons, lots of images with our legendary BAA educational Captions; we will not sell you junk. 30+ years of long lens experience/e-mail with gear questions.

BIRDS AS ART Online Store: we will not sell you junk. 35 years of long lens experience. Please e-mail with gear questions.

Check out the new SONY e-Guide and videos that I did with Patrick Sparkman here. Ten percent discount for BPN members,

E-mail me at samandmayasgrandpa@att.net.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Didn't touch the bird at all. I'll remove it on water. Thanks I didn't notice that!!! FYI someone had a long billed Dow today on the east pond.
    Last edited by Arthur Morris; 11-27-2017 at 05:59 AM. Reason: romove

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

The bird and light here look quite surreal, Isaac. What is happening is the direct sunlight is reflecting off the relatively lightly toned bird but the water is not reflecting direct light back to you, except was is hitting the dark background foliage but that reflection will be muted as well as being affected by shadows on the foliage. Can't comment directly on the bird but this makes the overall frame look very intense and contrasty. I like the composition on this one and the overall look you've achieved in this situation. Certainly very eye-catching. I'm sure there are lots of other interpretations you could make of this too.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Isaac Grant View Post
    Didn't touch the bird at all. I'll remove it on water. Thanks I didn't notice that!!! FYI someone had a long billed Dow today on the east pond.
    Funny, I thought of going there with that possibility ... Which end, north?
    BIRDS AS ART Blog: great info and lessons, lots of images with our legendary BAA educational Captions; we will not sell you junk. 30+ years of long lens experience/e-mail with gear questions.

BIRDS AS ART Online Store: we will not sell you junk. 35 years of long lens experience. Please e-mail with gear questions.

Check out the new SONY e-Guide and videos that I did with Patrick Sparkman here. Ten percent discount for BPN members,

E-mail me at samandmayasgrandpa@att.net.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

south. North is too flooded now. I may go in the next day or 2 to see if I get time. Just went this morning to Central for our 3rd state record of Hammond's Flycatcher. Pics were posted and people thought it was a "western" but I told all immediately that it's a Hammond's. Loads got on it today. A new state bird for most.