Thread: Cub POV

Wildlife Moderator Steve Kaluski's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default Cub POV

Attached Images Attached Images

OK, so perhaps another 'marmite' shot for some folk, but to me it's again about trying to convey a scene and or POV and NOT creating yet another image we have all seen before, albeit at times it's good to have.

This was taken from a pride I had the pleasure to shadow for seven days in Botswana. The two females were in prime condition, great 'killers' but ultimately really great Mothers. Shot when the pride were all together playing/resting in the bush, but one of the females either heard or saw the next meal (although I couldn't tell or see anything) as she went into alert/stalk mode. I just like the low POV because you get the perspective from the cub looking on, but it's all is about the eye IMHO and the POV gets away from the norm and doing something different.

Steve

Subject: Lioness (Panthera leo) stalking
    Camera: Canon 1DX MKII
    Lens: 500f/4 HH & 1.4ext
    Exposure: 1/2000s at f/5.6 ISO2000
    Original format: Portrait, minimal crop, almost FF
    Processed via: LRCC & PSCC2017

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Steve,pov makes me feel i'm seeing the world through the cub's eyes ,it works for me ,mind I like marmite.

Love the dappled light especially how it illuminates mum's eye,a slight fight with my self over whether I want more on the left Steve,because of her ear. but with a prime I see why this is framed like it is. with the 200-400 do you think you would have framed all but the same maybe gone wider??.The eye being so beautifully lit makes it incredibly strong mate, do you feel you would loose something sorry terribly hypothetical but very relevent to an image like this

I like the contrasting texture of the log,don't find it distracting curipous as to what the others think Steve,it works for me because of the cub

cheers for the recent help and thoughts

stu

Threads
    Thank You Posts

with the 200-400 do you think you would have framed all but the same maybe gone wider??
    Stu, the 200-400 was close to hand, but due to location and distracting elements you had to shoot tight to isolate things. No more DoF required as I wanted to go straight to the female and really nothing else mattered, as the HA and eye conveyed she meant business with the fixed focus. The light helped to add to the scene and this is where you have to survey and make the best of the opportunity and try to pick the best spot.

cheers for the recent help and thoughts
    You are most welcome Stu, just glad it dovetailed with getting away from the horrendous building work at present.

4. Thanks Stuart Philpott thanked for this post
    Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

You are in to your marmite these days Steve! I like the concept and different approach here including the dappled light. I understand Stu's comment on the ear but I can see that would not work as the cub would no longer be centre foreground. Still, chopping that ear off does detract a touch for me. I'm not familiar with the stalking pose on these cats. If you'd asked me, I'd have said she looked hassled or annoyed in this shot, particularly given the downward glance. I wonder if just a touch more DOF would have helped here to get more of the lioness in focus? A nice refreshing image all the same and quite thought-provoking.

Lifetime Member Rachel Hollander's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Steve - Not a fan of marmite but I've looked a few times and although I probably would not hang it on the wall, the image grows on me a little each time. It really is all because of the eye. Though it is not apparent to me that she is stalking. With the oof, darker body below I thought she was over a recent kill and the cub was waiting for permission to join her. Clipped ear not bothering me here. What is bothering me is the light area just in front of the non-visible eye and down the nose. Although I expect it is natural knowing your skill, it has almost square edges which makes it look unnatural and like a mistake. If it were mine I would darken it.

TFS,
    Rachel

Threads
    Thank You Posts

You are in to your marmite these days Steve!
    Glenn all I am trying to do is to provoke folks to perhaps think 'outside the box' and not just snap another image we've seen so many times before. Yes, we all do it and often it works, but all I'm trying to suggest is that maybe look at other alternatives. Folk are also reluctant to get the guide to move the vehicle, yes they are suppose to get you in the right place, but as photographers we also have a say, and if you need to ask them to move.

In answer to the point raised, I did say 'alert/stalk' mode, not full on stalk. She had been with the cubs, but something caught her attention but the head down and poised when the shot was taken, I trust this clarifies things.

What is bothering me is the light area just in front of the non-visible eye and down the nose
    It's an OOF blade of grass Rachel, but it's so faint...

Lifetime Member Rachel Hollander's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Thanks Steve. It keeps drawing my eye.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Steve ,the image is provoking thought ,it's been great to read through the groups replies and answers too,Thanks for the reply personally. I feel I always learn from trying to get inside the head of the guy or gal that made the image,these thoughts seems to come back to me at shutter press A great learning tool,it isn't easy trying to find something different,especially with so much talent and knowledge out there. Great post mate I always feel I come away with something after reading these types of debates marmite or no

stu

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Steve -- as Rachel said the image slowly grows on the viewer, not instantly felt good about it but upon viewing it a few times I really started liking the framing . The IQ is as usual superb, lovely details in the subject and that eye has turned out superbly . Always good to get some unusual perspectives on the field, i am always game for it .

TFS !

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Always good to get some unusual perspectives on the field, i am always game for it .
    Good for you Haseeb, as you never quite know. Experimenting and going a little 'off piste' expands your thinking/POV and avoids becoming stale and staying in the same 'comfy' slippers.

Story Sequences Moderator and Wildlife Moderator Gabriela Plesea's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Dear Steve,

An inspiring frame that captures a brief glimpse into the intimate world of this powerful predator. This reminds me what amazing mothers those "killers" are. Lots of intent in the lioness's eye versus perceived innocence of the cub. Love the tight framing. A well thought image that tells so much about your receptivity to the natural world - I must admit, you really know how to love wildlife

Warmest regards,
    Gabriela Plesea