Thread: Bathing Dunlin

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default Bathing Dunlin

Attached Images Attached Images

This is really a theme that I could have posted 20 shots a day for as I have so many shorebird images that I never posted. This Dunlin was photographed on a beautiful evening on the East Pond of Jamaica Bay Wildlife Refuge in Queens, NY. This is part of the same flock that Arthur and I photographed together. While Arthur was photographing the White-rumped Sandpiper that he has already posted I was shooting this bathing Dunlin.

Canon 1DX and Canon 500 f4 ii + 1.4x iii. ISO 1250, F8, SS 1/2000

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

This is great Isaac. The warm tones on shorebirds always look great against the blue backdrop. Great sharpness and details.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

I may take some from the top and a little from the RHS. Very nice pose with the water droplets adding. Love the contrast.

Will

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Another beauty from your outing at Jamaica Bay. Lovely light, colors and bathing pose. A pano with some off the top would also work nicely.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Really nice Isaac, and amazing details to boot. I love the water drops flying off. Nice look at both topside wings as well. I don't mind the crop as is but a pano could be interesting. Love the water texture and shape as well. No nits from me. TFS

Threads
    Thank You Posts

My first thought, after oohing and aahing on the subject, was that there may be too much canvas above. Apart from that, I love the pose and the water drops - behind the bird and the tip of the bill. Neat to have the body tilted towards us, with very appealing wing positions. I'm also digging the raised lower back feathers!

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Really wonderful image, Isaac. Detail and tone on the bird is magnificent and the lovely warm light adds a great feel. Even the water looks sinuous and beautiful here. I really love the spray of water drops with a hint of motion blur at the rear of the bird too. I'm happy with the composition as presented. It is hard to take a great bathing shot but I think you've achieved that here. Great work.