Thread: Dribbling giraffe

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default Dribbling giraffe

Name:  IMG_9121-BPN.jpg
Views: 64
Size:  391.6 KB
    A portrait of a giraffe, this time. I didn't notice the small stand of saliva dropping from the mouth until I processed this. I don't know if giraffes do this much - perhaps it was eyeing off some tasty vegetation! This is full frame vertically. Some off the left and right for this.

Thank you for taking the time to look and for any comments you are kind enough to share.

Technical: Canon 80D with Lens EF100-400mm f/4.5-5.6L IS II USM at 400mm handheld. Manual exposure 1/1000, f8, ISO 800. Processed in Canon DPP 4 (digital lens optimiser @ 50, Sharpness = 3, crop, lighting adjustments, default NR) then exported 16 bit TIFF to Photoshop Elements. Modest Neat Image NR applied to animal and stronger to background. Sharpened giraffe only (sharpness function: remove Gaussian blur, radius = 0.4 pixels, 50%) after final size reduction.

Lifetime Member Rachel Hollander's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Glenn- This is a very nice portrait of the giraffe and overall looks good. I think I would prefer a bit more room on the left rather than a square crop with the angled head centered. Also watch the slight halo along the left side of the giraffe's face as viewed.

TFS,
    Rachel

3. Thanks Glenn Pure thanked for this post
    Macro and Flora Moderator Jonathan Ashton's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Nice shot but I think colours are a bit off, if you use the white dropper on the left ear it may look a little better.

5. Thanks Glenn Pure thanked for this post
    Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Nice frame like the details on the giraffe.

7. Thanks Glenn Pure thanked for this post
    Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Thanks Rachel, Jon and John. I was wondering how to crop this so your idea, Rachel, on adding more to the left was useful: revised crop below which I think is better.

Quote Originally Posted by Jonathan Ashton View Post
    Nice shot but I think colours are a bit off, if you use the white dropper on the left ear it may look a little better.
    I hadn't noticed that Jon as I thought the overall colour was reflective of the scene (taken in warm light). When I checked after your post, I found the colour on the left ear was very close to neutral grey so I've left colour untouched.

Name:  IMG_9121-BPNv2.jpg
Views: 28
Size:  383.0 KB

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Much better crop on the repost! I had to look a second time when I read your description about the drool...what a neat subtle detail!

10. Thanks Glenn Pure thanked for this post
    Story Sequences Moderator and Wildlife Moderator Gabriela Plesea's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Attached Images Attached Images

Dear Glenn,
    Thank you so much for this lovely giraffe portrait

I enjoyed viewing as well as reading above comments and looked carefully at the OP and RP. Your image is sharp and there is plenty of detail, colours are great. The RP much better in terms of composition but I still find the light blue patch (BG/sky) quite distracting. How about an even tighter crop - you think it might be acceptable to you?
    It so happens that just after sunrise this morning I was on my way to work and driving through a game reserve (I am very lucky, I know). Just before reaching the gates I stopped to admire a beautiful giraffe feeding on the side of the road. Her face was bathed in beautiful light (just like yours here) and had this lovely brilliance. I wished I could reach for my cameras but they were tucked away at the back of the vehicle so all I could do was sit there and watch. While trying to pay attention to the colours I noticed the beautiful reds in the fur of this animal (mane and those geometrical patterns), and was quite amazed to see how light changes everything. So tonight I tried another version of your image, keeping in mind what I saw this morning - just a few tweaks, see if you notice a slight difference? I wanted the whites to be a little brighter and those red/orange patterns more obvious.

Hope you have a wonderful rest of the week,

Kind regards,
    Gabriela Plesea

12. Thanks Glenn Pure thanked for this post
    Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Thank you Rachel, John, Jon, Dan and Gabriela for your thoughtful comments. Gabriela, special thanks for your repost and work on the colour. I think the proportions of the frame in your repost are more 'comfortable'. However, I do like seeing more of that long neck - a dilemma. As for the bright bands in the sky, I guess if I kept the second post, the simple fix would be to darken them so they were less obvious. As for the colour on your repost Gabriela, this is very nice. It was a shot from late in the day so I feel it is an appropriate and probably more reflective interpretation. Good one! Forgot to mention, this was taken in the Savute in Botswana. Many thanks to you all again.

Story Sequences Moderator and Wildlife Moderator Gabriela Plesea's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Glenn, I had the same dilemma as I liked the neck This was just an option really. I did try brighten the whites a bit, for more "pop".

A real pleasure, viewing your images. Also exchanging ideas, your comments are always thoughtful and considerate

Have a lovely evening,
    Gabriela Plesea

15. Thanks Glenn Pure thanked for this post