Thread: Royal Spoonbill

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default Royal Spoonbill

Name:  IMG_7080-BPN.jpg
Views: 75
Size:  265.9 KB
    Taken shortly after sunrise on a misty, cool autumn morning. I liked the warm, directional light and the mist behind the bird which help it stand out a little more. Shame about the messy water surface. This is about 80% of the frame.

Thank you for looking and for any comments you are kind enough to share.

Technical: Canon 80D with EF100-400mm f/4.5-5.6L IS II USM at 400mm handheld. Manual exposure 1/200 sec, f7.1, ISO 800. Processed in Canon DPP 4 (digital lens optimiser @ 50, sharpness = 3, crop, lighting adjustments, NR) then exported 16 bit TIFF to Photoshop Elements with Neat Image NR plugin. Modest NR applied to bird and stronger to background. Bird sharpened in PSE (Sharpness tool, remove Gaussian Blur: 0.4 pixels at 50%) after final size reduction.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Pretty neat i have never seen a royal spoonbill. The reflection is lovely.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

I like the muted colors and the reflection. The mist is very cool. Ideally it would be nice to have the birds head angled just slightly more towards us. Also feel the shots needs just a touch of clockwise rotation.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Very atmospheric Glenn. Looking good. I like the crop you chose. Beautiful colours in the BG and FG. Reflection looks good, and adds. I'm going out to the loch early tomorrow and the forecast is for frost and mist. If I manage to get anything like this, I will be happy. Nice one.

Will