Thread: Little Miss Paws

Story Sequences Moderator and Wildlife Moderator Gabriela Plesea's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default Little Miss Paws

Attached Images Attached Images

Hello Everyone,

Trying to keep my promise and participate more often. Found this frame taken in 2015 in the Kalahari, the light was truly golden but shadows quite strong. Could not help but take a few images of this cutie.

Nikon D4
    Nikon 500 F4
    ISO 640
    F6.3
    1/1600s ( should have aimed for 1/2000s )

Let me know your thoughts, comments of any nature much appreciated. Thank you so much for taking the time to view

Kind regards,
    Last edited by Gabriela Plesea; 11-22-2017 at 03:33 PM.
    Gabriela Plesea

Lifetime Member Rachel Hollander's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Gabriela - A very nice image of this youngster. I like the placement in frame and the walking pose. I think your ss is sufficient as sharpness of the head looks good. I'm ok with a bit of movement in the paws in a walking pose. I can also see a more pano version working too. Nice one.

TFS,
    Rachel

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Cubs do have a great cute factor and you've captured it well here Gabriela. I like the paw raised as the cub walks and the turned back ears add some character to this little one. Light is gorgeous but I find the tones a little flat overall and the background too close in tone and colour to the cub. Little you can do about the latter though and I think tonal adjustments that would create enough separation would probably be going 'too far' and look potentially unnatural? Perhaps the blending in is simply a nice reminder of how well these animals can hide in their environment. Critical for success as a predator. Like Rachel, I could see this working as a pano too, or a tighter frame if the IQ held up.

BPN Viewer
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Gabriela,
    Nice low level shot. I would just ask one question- Why so much space on the top of the head & beyond? would a tighter crop from the top end make the viewer be drawn a bit better into the image?
    Regards
    Abhijit
    Last edited by Abhijit Deshpande; 11-23-2017 at 01:28 AM. Reason: Typographical error-corrected

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Thank you dear Rachel, Glenn and Abhijit,

Thought about a pano version but eventually decided to allow the grass tufts and shadows in the frame for more context. I am certainly listening to your suggestion, just wanted to explain what made me compose like this. I do have a number of images from the same sighting with this little one and another sibling walking in tandem, all pano (see Story Sequences Forum). I just tried something different here.

Glenn, I agree with you, the BG is a bit "strong", but things might look a bit unnatural otherwise? This image was taken at Kij Kij in the Kalahari, a very special spot where I like to spend lots of time during every trip (so much happening at this waterhole in the mornings). Such is the light there and perhaps the surrounding red dunes have a degree of influence on it. BTW this was taken before 8 am. Not sure I must do further tonal adjustments on the cub, at the time I processed this frame I was quite happy with the outcome but I can only try and see what it looks like. Perhaps Andreas who was there and knows the place intimately could share his thoughts. Always room for improvement and I certainly look forward to more feedback from everyone

Kind regards,
    Gabriela Plesea

Macro and Flora Moderator Jonathan Ashton's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

I like the shot as is, no reservations regarding exposure. The only thing that I would think would have made it better is probably entirely impractical and that is to have taken the image at eye height. I appreciate you may well be in a large 4WD and I sometimes wonder how necessary the big ones are. I am going to Kruger next February and I have rented a Toyota Rav 4x4, the person who gave me all the details regarding visiting Kruger (he goes regularly over the last 25 years) says he never rents 4x4 of any description he just gets a Toyota Corolla or similar. It must depend of course on the terrain you cover, I guess you don't necessarily have to stay on roads whereas I would.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Thank you Jon,

Just briefly on the car topic, you do not have to have a 4x4 in the Kruger if you decide to stick to tarred roads. The advantage of having one is you can spot animals easier if the vegetation is high (which is very likely in February). Also, you can use the more remote dirt roads and not have other vehicles around all the time and people asking "what are you looking at" I drive a Toyota Land Cruiser, perhaps not the most comfortable and maybe a bit noisy, but loving it. Unlike in the Kruger, Kalahari roads are not tarred, they are sandy and extremely corrugated when grading is not done regularly (everything rattles and shakes inside the vehicle). When they are flooded a 4x4 is not a luxury but a necessity. Drop me a line sometime and we can chat more about your trip, if you like. BTW I will be in the Kalahari in Feb when you are visiting the Kruger
    Gabriela Plesea

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Gabriela, I will say that I am glad you kept the comp as is. Had the vegetation not been there I would have agreed with cropping more, but the top left is filled nicely and well balanced with the lion in lower right. Huge paws already!!.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Thank you so much Daniel, I so appreciate your time to view and comment

Warmest regards,
    Gabriela Plesea