Thread: Red-capped Plover

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default Red-capped Plover

Name:  IMG_5846-BPN.jpg
Views: 98
Size:  321.4 KB
    This bird is found around Australia at both salt and fresh water sites. This one was taken in a coastal area (the Carlo Sandblow) at Rainbow Beach in Queensland, just below Fraser Island. I was wondering why this bird was loitering close by. Without thinking about it much more, I laid down for this low angle shot and moments later, after getting some shots, the bird moved less than an metre from me and sat on its eggs! I didn't even see them and lucky I didn't stand on them. I cleared out as soon as I realised. Unfortunately, it had chosen a spot where quite a few people walk so I hope the nest survived. I've taken a bit off all round for this composition and it is about 3/4 of the frame area.

Technical: Canon 80D with EF100-400mm f/4.5-5.6L IS II USM at 400mm handheld. Manual exposure 1/3200 sec, f7.1, ISO 400. Processed in Canon DPP 4 (digital lens optimiser @ 50, sharpness = 3, crop, lighting adjustments, NR) then exported 16 bit TIFF to Photoshop Elements with Neat Image NR plugin. Modest NR applied to bird and stronger to background. Bird sharpened in PSE (Sharpness tool, remove Gaussian Blur: 0.4 pixels at 50%) after final size reduction.
    Last edited by Glenn Pure; 11-22-2017 at 04:53 AM.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Glenn, No nits from me, love the shot. Super details, exposure, comp and colors. Very nice.

-Tim

3. Thanks Glenn Pure thanked for this post
    Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Excellent shot Glenn, probably the best I've seen of this small beach-dwelling species. This looks like a male, but possibly without full development of the head colour? It's a great composition with just the right plane and depth of focus, and beautiful overall tones. I like the slight impression that the bird is standing in a small pebble avalanche! I know what you mean about the dangers of trying to photograph beach dwellers like this in breeding season - you have to juggle looking at/for the birds with looking at your feet every step of the way, in fact before every step of the way, and also watching for protective bird behaviour. As you did, always best to clear out if you realise there is a nest nearby. At least on some Australian beaches these days there are temporary no-go areas roped off in an attempt to protect the main nesting areas from human trampling in breeding season - but there are always some birds which unwittingly choose an extremely vulnerable location for their nest, which is a worry.

Cheers, David

5. Thanks Glenn Pure thanked for this post
    Macro and Flora Moderator Jonathan Ashton's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Never seen one before, what a little beauty wonderful colours and details, very nice indeed. Usually I would not recommend removing the pebbles as I regard them as natural, cleaned up beaches can look a bit sterile to me. Having said that I am not a fan of the larger pebble beneath the tail where the sand is in focus, I think it competes for attention a little too much.

7. Thanks Glenn Pure thanked for this post
    Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Beautiful bird that's new to me. Nicely exposed with a good pose. The in-focus zone of sand almost makes it look like some rotation is necessary, but I guess the bird is standing on a slope. The pebbles don't overly bother me, but the dark like (shadow?) behind the legs is a little distracting.

9. Thanks Glenn Pure thanked for this post
    Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Glenn I think you have made a beautiful job of the lovely little wader,and all done in that very bright light you have ,can understand the shadows,excellent.

Keith.

11. Thanks Glenn Pure thanked for this post
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Very nice indeed. I reckon you got it spot on here Glenn. The pose, the detail, the BG, the DOF, the habitat, works together real good here. Well done. I love the chestnut colours on the head.

Will

13. Thanks Glenn Pure thanked for this post
    Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Thank you all for your comments and suggestions. These days, I'm very reluctant to do much cloning. I like to show the environment as it was, with imperfections. But I note some comments that a little clean-up could give this more visual impact. Yes, the sand had quite a slope and dropped over a small cliff not far from where this was taken. This bird was alone - nothing else seen on this vast sandblow. The bird did not provide any other alerts to its nest nearby either, eg feigned broken wing or aggression. Perhaps it was simply getting used to having lots of people around. In full breeding plumage, these birds have an entire chestnut crown.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

You did well considering what had to be rather harsh overhead light.

with love, artie
    BIRDS AS ART Blog: great info and lessons, lots of images with our legendary BAA educational Captions; we will not sell you junk. 30+ years of long lens experience/e-mail with gear questions.

BIRDS AS ART Online Store: we will not sell you junk. 35 years of long lens experience. Please e-mail with gear questions.

Check out the new SONY e-Guide and videos that I did with Patrick Sparkman here. Ten percent discount for BPN members,

E-mail me at samandmayasgrandpa@att.net.

16. Thanks Glenn Pure thanked for this post