Thank You Posts

Default Portrait in Motion

Attached Images Attached Images

Canon 1DX
    f/4 500mm with 1.4
    f/7.1
    1/2500
    ISO 800

This is one from a couple of weeks ago when I was photographing the Black Headed Gulls at sunset on the loch. This Juve Herring Gull(I think) gave me quite a good HA as it flew directly towards me.

Will

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Will, this is where the 1DX comes into its own with these fast shots of a bird moving towards you. I don't think my little Canon could keep up. This is a great shot to my eye with nice turn of head, superb detail, great handling of tone and good colour. The nice tight portrait view is great. Composition is tricky on these. I think this one works but could also see a bit off the bottom of the frame working too. Nice work!

Macro and Flora Moderator Jonathan Ashton's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Well focused good exposure and a pretty unusual composition, it all makes for a successful image in my view.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Very striking shot Will, I like this a lot. Not easy to get something so dynamic and interesting of such an everyday bird but you've managed it here. The turn of the head is what really makes it for me.

Mike
    Last edited by Mike Poole; 11-22-2017 at 01:09 PM.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Thanks for that guys.

Will

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Very nice. Not sure what it is but I doubt that it is a Herring Gull ... The bill looks way too small and the ring around the bill and the orange tip do not make any sense. Please post the exact location and the date ...

thanks with love, artie
    BIRDS AS ART Blog: great info and lessons, lots of images with our legendary BAA educational Captions; we will not sell you junk. 30+ years of long lens experience/e-mail with gear questions.

BIRDS AS ART Online Store: we will not sell you junk. 35 years of long lens experience. Please e-mail with gear questions.

Check out the new SONY e-Guide and videos that I did with Patrick Sparkman here. Ten percent discount for BPN members,

E-mail me at samandmayasgrandpa@att.net.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Artie, thanks for that. The image was taken on 15th November, at Birnie Loch, Fife, Scotland.

Will

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Thanks Will, May I post it to a gull ID site?

with love, artie
    BIRDS AS ART Blog: great info and lessons, lots of images with our legendary BAA educational Captions; we will not sell you junk. 30+ years of long lens experience/e-mail with gear questions.

BIRDS AS ART Online Store: we will not sell you junk. 35 years of long lens experience. Please e-mail with gear questions.

Check out the new SONY e-Guide and videos that I did with Patrick Sparkman here. Ten percent discount for BPN members,

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Arthur Morris View Post
    Thanks Will, May I post it to a gull ID site?

with love, artie
    Yes please do Artie. I'm now swaying towards it being a Common Gull. Although the American Ringed Bill Gull also comes to mind.

Will

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Thanks Will. The question is can Common Gull show the faint ring on the bill. Is Ring-billed Gull a regular visitor???

with love, artie

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Apparently the Common Gull can show this feature during the winter months. The Ring Billed Gull is quite rare in these parts, if it is one, it will be a first for me.

Will

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Posted your image and comments to the North American Gulls site here.

Oskari Härmä wrote: Yes, this is quite typical looking Larus canus. Of course eye looks relatively pale, but that is mostly because direct light, but many Common gulls have paler type of eye.

Like you, I am good with Common Gull.

with love, artie

13. Thanks William Dickson thanked for this post
    Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Will an incredible image of a gull it's so different and so well focused and detailed on the head. will i've also enjoyed the dialogue with artie as straight away the id of herring ,didn't feel right I grew up surrounded by them Will,never seen one like this,cheers a joy to view and more learnt !!

many thanks

stu