Thank You Posts

Default Red Grouse

Attached Images Attached Images

Canon 1DX
    f/4 500mm
    f/8
    1/1250
    ISO 1250

I took another trip to the Glen at the weekend for the Red Grouse. I was a wee bit later this time, and the sun had just arisen as I arrived. On arrival, whilst driving, I saw this one. I quickly parked up and crept towards the bird. The rising sun was directly behind me, and I don't think the Grouse was aware of my presence. I got so close, I was too close, and removed my extender. I liked the pose and the way he fluffed up his feathers to get the most from the morning sun.

Will

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Another cracker shot, Will. The foreground and background are delightful and I like the effect partly hiding the lower part of the bird. Detail looks great but I'd be inclined to darken the image a touch overall as it looks a bit thin to me at the moment. Composition works well for me. A frame I'd be very happy with.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Man Will, you've been killing it with these Red Grouse. I really like this. Bird looks great and the color palette is excellent. Love the beautiful soft looking feathers. Only thing I would change is to maybe add a little room on the right side of the frame. Seems a tiny bit tight there.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

I love the colours and the ruffled feathers. I too would be tempted to darken some parts, especially on the wing as the light seems to have reflected brightly off of there. I'd also lose the lower reflection on lower half of the pupil. Very nice habitat - the tiny flowers lining the bottom edge of the grouse are pretty neat!

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Thanks for the comments and tips guys. I would never have thought about the reflection on the lower half of the pupil. Much appreciated.

Will

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Here is a repost. I used the burn tool on the wing, and the clone tool on the eye. I tried the darken overall Glenn. But I think darkening the wing looked better on my monitor. Still not happy with the eye, must revisit

Will

Name:  Grouse-warming-up.jpg
Views: 30
Size:  387.5 KB
    Last edited by William Dickson; 11-21-2017 at 02:41 PM.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Will, that's moving in the right direction. I'd personally go darker just a little more on the whole frame but you know the scene and it's your photo after all. This still looks pretty good and I am splitting hairs here.

8. Thanks William Dickson thanked for this post
    Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Great details, and wonderful BG and FG which gives a good feel to the habitat on this photo. Well done.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Raybel Robles View Post
    Great details, and wonderful BG and FG which gives a good feel to the habitat on this photo. Well done.
    Thanks for that Raybel