Thread: caracara portrait

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default caracara portrait

Attached Images Attached Images

I know this is not the type of lighting we are supposed to aim for, but I like the way this brings out the angular features of the crested caracara, so will be interesting to see what type of comments it gets... This was in the Pantanal, this guy was on a fence post on the roadside, observing a huge group of jabiru feasting on catfish in a pond, waiting for an opportunity. I was moving up slowly to get the light behind be, did that, but like this shot nonetheless.
    Canon 7DII and 400/f2.8 handheld. Lightroom for processing.
    f5.6, 1/1000, ISO125.
    Greg

Threads
    Thank You Posts

These sidelighting situations rarely workout, but here it gives off a nice moody feel. I like the effect on the bill. The crop is not at its best IMO as the subject feels cropped in too tight at the neck - I'd love to see a bit more below.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Very nice Greg. I like the shadow effect. Nice feather detail and eye contact. The moody BG shows the bird well.

Will

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Greg, I like the pose but would still like to see a bit more detail on the dark side even though I know this isn't the intention here. Overall, the tones are a bit 'inky' for my liking. Composition works nicely for me. Main issue for me is DOF where I think a smaller aperture would have helped significantly as I think the rear of the eye is starting to drop out of focus. Just too shallow for me. Background is excellent and the bird delightful - I enjoyed viewing in spite of the issues I have.