Thread: Wintery long exposure

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default Wintery long exposure

Attached Images Attached Images

I dont shoot a lot of landscape shots but the weather has been less than cooperative for the last few weekends. I found what looked like a good spot for a long exposure and gave it a whirl. Any thoughts or suggestions would be greatly appreciated .
    i had rubber boots on while standing in the creek but it didnt take to long for me feet to get cold lol.
    converted in dpp then into photoshop to remove the color cast from the lee filter .
    5dIII 24-105f4L @ 47mm f13 ,iso 50, 64 seconds with a lee big stopper.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Attached Images Attached Images

Hi Stuart.. I be up front and say I am not a huge fan of very long exposures but this is quite nice...and Kudos for standing in the freezing water to get it... I think this image would be better if you darkened the sky a little and removed the Vignette I think you may have added which is making the lower left and right corners dark.. I think you need these areas brighter so the eye follows the leading lines formed by the edge of the stream "into the image". For the same reason I think you need to darken the sky so the eye stays into the "guts" of the image and is not draw up into the bright sky.. Finally a touch more of sharpening will help.. I love the colour of the stream... I have quickly added these changes to a copy of your image to show what I mean but I have not taken any time with the masking etc.. I am sure you could better...

regards

DON
    Last edited by Don Railton; 11-21-2017 at 09:00 PM.

Landscapes Moderator Andrew McLachlan's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Stuart...I like the long exposure for this scene...it has made the river look fantastic. Don's repost addresses the sky nicely as well as the darkened corners...I think you may still have a hint of colour cast showing up in the snow laden trees as well....looking forward to more of your landscapes!

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Stuart, nice long exposure and it sure was long at 64 seconds. Not sure I would stand in the freezing water for this though, so congratulations on your perseverance. I like these winter scenes a lot. I think the repost by Don is an improvement as I noticed the vignette when I first saw this but happy either way with the sky on this one. Getting nice whites is, I think, critical with snow shots so the extra work to tidy this in the repost looks good. Very nice and thanks for sharing.