Thread: Whitetail Buck

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default Whitetail Buck

Attached Images Attached Images

Whitetail buck with an alert pose. Check out this buck right nostril looks like it is missing. Must have been from a fight. Image adjustments in Lightroom and photoshop.

Hand held, Full frame.

Canon 5D MarkIII
    Sigma 150-600 Contemporary
    374mm
    f8.0
    ISO 1600
    1/400sec

Lifetime Member Rachel Hollander's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi John - Nice pose and look to camera with good symmetry in the ears and antlers. I find the comp a little awkward with the part of the leg in mid step. I think it would have been better to go tighter with the zoom. The bright path (?) in the bg intersecting the head is unfortunately placed. I'm not sure if you could have changed the shooting angle to avoid it intersecting the head. Dof is nice. Colors look good.

TFS,
    Rachel

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Nice image, John. Detail, tone and colour on the animal look great but the backgorund looks a bit thin and pale to me, particularly lower in the frame. Thanks for sharing.

Story Sequences Moderator and Wildlife Moderator Gabriela Plesea's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

What makes this image for me is that lovely eye contact, good timing here John. Nice choice of DoF too.

A very pretty animal despite the missing nostril. You are probably right, he must have been in a fight with another male. Colours look good and sharpness too. The road/path in the BG is unfortunate but I guess there was not much you could do about it.

I would soften those bright grass blades in the foreground if I were you. IQ permitting I would crop tighter to exclude the front limbs and some of the FG vegetation. I really like the colours and patterns in the upper part of the BG.

Hope you have more opportunities to capture this species, I am enjoying your images and looking forward to more.

Kind regards,
    Gabriela Plesea

Wildlife Moderator Steve Kaluski's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi John, the detail looks pushed to me, but better DoF here. I might go tighter, but again you don't mention if this is FF or cropped and if so, to what degree. The grasses are a bit distracting and I'm sure you can address in LR & PS.

TFS
    Steve