Thread: Great Egret

BPN Member
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default Great Egret

Attached Images Attached Images

I captured this image a couple days ago at Circle B Bar Reserve in Polk County, Florida. Comments and critique welcomed and appreciated. Thank you for viewing.

Nikon D500
    Nikon 80-400mm F/4.5-5.6 VRII AF-S ED image captured at 400mm
    1/1600 F/5.6 Matrix Metering EV 0 ISO 1600 AWB
    Post processed in Lightroom Classic CC and Photoshop CC 2018
    Cropped for composition and presentation
    Joe Przybyla

"Sometimes I do get to places just as God is ready to have somebody click the shutter"... Ansel Adams

www.amazinglight.smugmug.com

Threads
    Thank You Posts

A handsome flight shot, Joe. Stands out nicely against the background. It almost looks as if the egret has damaged the tip of its upper mandible.

3. Thanks Joseph Przybyla thanked for this post
    Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Joe, these are great birds to catch in flight and you've done well here. Great wing position and direction of travel slightly towards you. Getting the tones and rendering of detail in the whites is always hard with these but you've done pretty well here, I think. Only thing I'm unsure about - is there a slight blue tint to the bird? Looks a little that way to me but I just did a minor fiddle to the colour balance on my monitor so maybe it's me and I need to revisit that?

5. Thanks Joseph Przybyla thanked for this post
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

To check for the BLUE in the white feathers go to Hue/Saturation in PS, pick the BLUE (and the CYAN) channels from the dropdown menu, and them move the slider to the right to 100% :)

with love, a

ps: love the downstroke!
    BIRDS AS ART Blog: great info and lessons, lots of images with our legendary BAA educational Captions; we will not sell you junk. 30+ years of long lens experience/e-mail with gear questions.

BIRDS AS ART Online Store: we will not sell you junk. 35 years of long lens experience. Please e-mail with gear questions.

Check out the new SONY e-Guide and videos that I did with Patrick Sparkman here. Ten percent discount for BPN members,

E-mail me at samandmayasgrandpa@att.net.

7. Thanks Joseph Przybyla, Glenn Pure thanked for this post
    BPN Member
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Arthur Morris View Post
    To check for the BLUE in the white feathers go to Hue/Saturation in PS, pick the BLUE (and the CYAN) channels from the dropdown menu, and them move the slider to the right to 100% :)

with love, a

ps: love the downstroke!
    Hi Arthur, I did as you suggested. There was blue in the white feathers as Glenn noted. Most likely from the strong overcast sky. I adjusted the white balance on the white feathers to correct. This is a corrected repost.
    Joe Przybyla

"Sometimes I do get to places just as God is ready to have somebody click the shutter"... Ansel Adams

BPN Member
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Thanks everyone for viewing, commenting, and suggesting improvements. Very much appreciated...
    Joe Przybyla

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Better as far as the BLUE but the color seems off to me -- too yellow/too green and too flat ... I tried to do a Curves Color Balance adjustment on it but the WHITE and BLACK points were a bit too tight. I tried a 70% Average Blur Color Balance adjustment and liked that better. I cleaned up with mess behind the near wing and selectively sharpened the face with a Contrast Mask. All (plus tons more) as detailed in my new Workflow e-Guide (AKA DB II) here.

ps: I think that I could do even better starting from scratch. If you would like to send me the RAW with a large file transfer service to the e-mail address on the blog I would try converting it in ACR and see how I do. Happy Bird Day.

with love, artie
    BIRDS AS ART Blog: great info and lessons, lots of images with our legendary BAA educational Captions; we will not sell you junk. 30+ years of long lens experience/e-mail with gear questions.

BIRDS AS ART Online Store: we will not sell you junk. 35 years of long lens experience. Please e-mail with gear questions.

Check out the new SONY e-Guide and videos that I did with Patrick Sparkman here. Ten percent discount for BPN members,

E-mail me at samandmayasgrandpa@att.net.

11. Thanks Joseph Przybyla thanked for this post
    BPN Member
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

It has been said that three's a charm, I hope so. I started from the beginning... this time setting cloudy for the white balance. In Photoshop I reduced noise on the image at 60% and cleaned up the area near the rear wing and legs. I took the image back into Lightroom and sharpened it, also softened the background and using the Targeted Adjustment Tool in Hue, Saturation, and Luminosity I desaturated the white feathers removing the blue. Hopefully this is better, my eyes are in training so please let me know. Thank you all for the critique and suggestions.
    Joe Przybyla

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

The white is certainly better Joe but I think the latest repost has lost some of the contrast and details in the feathers that were there in the earlier versions and made this quite a nice shot. The background also looks a bit thin. I'd drop the exposure/brightness back a little on the whole frame.

BPN Member
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Glenn Pure View Post
    The white is certainly better Joe but I think the latest repost has lost some of the contrast and details in the feathers that were there in the earlier versions and made this quite a nice shot. The background also looks a bit thin. I'd drop the exposure/brightness back a little on the whole frame.
    Easily done, thank you for commenting.
    Joe Przybyla