Thread: Killdeer with Waterbug

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default Killdeer with Waterbug

Attached Images Attached Images

I found this guy, along with a few other shorebirds, in a small retention basin located off a huge parking lot behind an Amazon Fulfillment Center. You never know where the birds will pop up. We went back several other times; one time it was bone dry and the other it was filled to the brim, too deep for shorebirds.

D500, 500f4 + 1.4 TC, ISO 1600, 1/2500s @ f/8

Macro and Flora Moderator Jonathan Ashton's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

I like the colourful details in the plumage and the bug really makes a positive difference. I am a little unsure over the half reflection, i think all or nothing would be better.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Lots to like here Bill. Nice pose, with raised leg and prey in bill. Great detail and excellent handling of tone and colour to my eye. The water looks great too with the green reflection and smooth surface. The stuff on the surface just in front of the bird is a bit unfortunate but the part refection helps draw some attention away from this, I think. I'd be inclined to tighten the composition a touch with a little off the left and top. A shot I'd be very happy with if it was mine.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Thanks Jonathan and Glenn. I agree about the reflection. Unfortunately, there was a bunch of exposed mud just below where I cropped, so there was no reflection beyond what shows here. I might have tried a pano crop with some off top and bottom.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

A loverly juvie with a perfect head angle and a neat prey item!

with love, artie
    BIRDS AS ART Blog: great info and lessons, lots of images with our legendary BAA educational Captions; we will not sell you junk. 30+ years of long lens experience/e-mail with gear questions.

BIRDS AS ART Online Store: we will not sell you junk. 35 years of long lens experience. Please e-mail with gear questions.

Check out the new SONY e-Guide and videos that I did with Patrick Sparkman here. Ten percent discount for BPN members,

E-mail me at samandmayasgrandpa@att.net.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Thank you Artie!

7. Thanks Arthur Morris thanked for this post