Default Northern lapwing

Attached Images Attached Images

Taken with:
    Canon EOS 7D
    EF400mm f/5.6L USM
    ƒ/5.6
    1/800
    ISO 200

This one is from my early days of bird shooting when i didn't exactly know what i was doing when it comes to technical stuff like exposure etc. and while i was using the old 7D and 400 5.6.
    But i had a nice place for shorebirds close to were I live. Unfortunately this place doesn't exist anymore, i miss it :(. Anyway i think i haven't posted it yet here and that was one of my favorite from those days.

Just a question regarding the Theme - for the pic to qualify does it mean it had to be shot exactly during that month? Because obviously this one wasn't. I just want to be sure what are the rules for the Themes if there are any.

2. Thanks Abhijit Deshpande thanked for this post
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Attached Images Attached Images

I do not know the rules for the Themes. Dan will likely help soon. As for the photo, it is a beautiful bird in very sweet light. It looks as if you might have focused on the near wing as the feathers there look a bit sharper than the face ...

For the repost I removed some specular highlights on the bill and the mud and cleaned up the mud a bit. I sharpened the face selectively with a Contrast Mask. And I did some background smoothing with the Clone Stamp and a Gaussian blur.

All of the above and tons more is detailed in Digital Basics II :)

with love, artie
    BIRDS AS ART Blog: great info and lessons, lots of images with our legendary BAA educational Captions; we will not sell you junk. 30+ years of long lens experience/e-mail with gear questions.

BIRDS AS ART Online Store: we will not sell you junk. 35 years of long lens experience. Please e-mail with gear questions.

Check out the new SONY e-Guide and videos that I did with Patrick Sparkman here. Ten percent discount for BPN members,

E-mail me at samandmayasgrandpa@att.net.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

ps: i know the feeling when great places are destroyed for development ...

pps: in a perfect world, the bird would have been standing on top of the mud ridge so that we could see his feet. I would have been praying for him to do that :)

with love, artie
    BIRDS AS ART Blog: great info and lessons, lots of images with our legendary BAA educational Captions; we will not sell you junk. 30+ years of long lens experience/e-mail with gear questions.

BIRDS AS ART Online Store: we will not sell you junk. 35 years of long lens experience. Please e-mail with gear questions.

Check out the new SONY e-Guide and videos that I did with Patrick Sparkman here. Ten percent discount for BPN members,

E-mail me at samandmayasgrandpa@att.net.

BPN Viewer
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Very Nice image. & Arthur's PP has made it a few notches better.

Macro and Flora Moderator Jonathan Ashton's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Lovely shot Tom the colours are excellent. Artie's treatment to the head works nicely but I am not a fan of the background treatment, it looks too smooth and a bit smudgy in parts to my eye.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Thanks Arthur for the processing. I agree with Jonathan, i like the part on the head and i will try to redo that photo. I think the head looks a lot better after that contrast treatment. Thanks again.

8. Thanks Arthur Morris thanked for this post
    Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Amazing looking bird Tomasz. Great iridescence on the wing and nicely handled tone and colour on the bird: in that regard, I like the OP a little better. The background is great although a little noisy. The RP has fixed that. I like the foreground and presentation in this composition too. Lots to like here and thanks for sharing.